Need help on deciding on next lens

Clarke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I've had my Canon T2i since May and I've been taking photography seriously as a hobby, and I've love to expand but I'm all over the place with my next lens.
I currently have an EF-S 18-55mm and an EF 50mm f1.8. I am looking to upgrade to a better camera in the future (probably in 2 years or when I really grow old of my T2i) and it will probably be a full frame so I want to purchase EF lenses so I'm not limited, unless you can convince me 100%.

I enjoy shooting portrait, crowds of people, car events, and some landscapes. I know one lens cannot cover this all (mostly because of the landscapes, need a wide-lens for that) but something close enough.

I'd love to own a 24-105mm L but that price, phew, scares me. I'd like to own a better walkaround lens than my 18-55mm as well. My priority is to have a better range than 55mm though.

Any recommendations?

my dad just got a 15-85 and loves it. it is an ef-s lens.. which i think you should stick with.
i have a 17-55 and don't use the 2.8 that much. i'd rather have the extra mm on the wide side.

camera equipment holds it's value pretty well and you shouldn't have too much trouble selling it two years down the road.

Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

my dad just got a 15-85 and loves it. it is an ef-s lens.. which i think you should stick with.
i have a 17-55 and don't use the 2.8 that much. i'd rather have the extra mm on the wide side.

camera equipment holds it's value pretty well and you shouldn't have too much trouble selling it two years down the road.

Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

I've been reading reviews regarding the EF-S 15-85mm and the EF 28-135mm.

I love the fact that the 15-85mm has the 15mm for more of a wide shot and it does have the longer end, thus completely removing my 18-55mm. It is also $700.

I hear good things about the EF 28-135mm, but it would be cropped at 45-216mm for me. I would have to keep my 18-55mm. It's only $400.

Battle between the EF 28-135mm and EF-S 15-85mm, what would you guys say?

The 28-135 came with my 40d. I used it for a while and learned a lot... mainly it's too long for what I want.
Hence the 17-55. The 15-85 didn't exist when I was looking.

If you're upgrading in 2 years, I personally wouldn't worry too much about getting an ef-s lens as resell value stays pretty high. You'll lose what, 10-15% if you buy a new one and resell it later? If you buy used, might even make a profit... You might check out the 10-22mm... pretty sweet lens for really wide shooting.

You shoot a wide variety of situations so it's tough to give you one lens that retains quality with such a large zoom range. You're missing a long zoom, so check out the 70-200 f/4 if you're on a budget ($550 used), or 70-200 f/2.8 ($1000 used, $1600 used with IS). On the 70-200 f/4's, there seems to have been a batch that back-focused so make sure you check yours if you get one.

If you're upgrading in 2 years, I personally wouldn't worry too much about getting an ef-s lens as resell value stays pretty high. You'll lose what, 10-15% if you buy a new one and resell it later? If you buy used, might even make a profit... You might check out the 10-22mm... pretty sweet lens for really wide shooting.

You shoot a wide variety of situations so it's tough to give you one lens that retains quality with such a large zoom range. You're missing a long zoom, so check out the 70-200 f/4 if you're on a budget ($550 used), or 70-200 f/2.8 ($1000 used, $1600 used with IS). On the 70-200 f/4's, there seems to have been a batch that back-focused so make sure you check yours if you get one.

Regarding the 70-200 F/4, there is a non-IS and an IS version, the price difference is large, is IS really worth it? With my 50mm f1.8, I do notice that some of my shots are not the sharpest at 100% crop and I feel like I should blame it for not having IS.

Well, looks like I pulled the tigger on a Canon EF 28-135mm on eBay.

The seller was selling it for $375 and I put an offer in for $300 just for fun, didn't think they would take it, but they accepted the offer.

I've seen prices for this lens and I know it holds it's value so I know if I don't like it, I can always sell it.

Sounds like you got a good deal there.

As for IS being worth it, it depends on what conditions you are shooting in. If you are shooting on the go (no tripod) and in low light, then yes, it would be worth it to you. I first had the f/4 without IS and just had to calculate in my head what my minimum shutter speed needed to be (1/(focal length x 1.6)). The x1.6 is for the crop sensor. The longer the lens, the faster your shutter speed needs to be, so if you're shooting an indoor event and you're in at 200mm the entire time, IS is going to save you. However, if you're still shooting at 1/15th or something, you'll still have motion blur from the subject so IS won't help there.

I now have the 2.8 IS and it is a wonderful feature that saves a lot of shots.

Most reactions

Back