Need help picking 20 pictures for portfolio discussion and anyone wanna help? :)

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, this thread is intended for two things:

1. I really need some help picking my best 20 images for my modeling portfolio on Model Mayhem. If someone has the time and wants to help, I'd love some advice.

My current portfolio is:

ModelMayhem.com - RMT Photography

And my larger collection of photos is:

Flickr: rmthompson1979's Photostream

2. Part 2 of this thread is the discussion of what MAKES a good portfolio. MM limits a photographer to 20 photos, which is a good thing I think, because it gives me a small enough number to show off my skills, but not too large where things get to be repetitive.

Other portfolios might have more or less photographs. Recently I applied for a large job at a country club. The lady asked me for samples of my previous work, in ALL styles, and I couldn't decide on a number of photographs to share...10? 20? 40?

How do YOU show your best work off? Printed portfolio? Online Gallery? Let us know!

Ryan

Hey Ryan -

I went through some of the FlickR photos. These are my faves:
Jillian
Aslee Ann
Adrianne on the Stairs
Joe running on the beach
Veiled

They are all great though! Nice work :)

Caitlin

What makes a good portfolio is somewhat of a mystery. In a way it is easier to say what not to do than what to do. One thing that is sure though is that you can't have just one portfolio. It should be tailored towards the client you are about to meet.

No food shots if you're meeting the editor of a fashion mag, for example. But if they sometimes run a food feature than why not have a couple food shots. Landscapes are not very useful when you're trying to book a wedding, etc, etc.

Another thing that is sure is that the images you pick have to be your very best. And the prints should be perfect also.

As for the physical part of it, I used to use a book with 11x17 sleeve pages so that it was easy to change and tailor the content. 12 to 18 photos. Since I'm going back into the business, I have talked to some friends and there seems to be a mix of that (the book) and CDs with most actually using both. The book is great when you meet in person and then you leave a CD behind so that they can refer to you by images as well as name. The problem most people have mentioned with using the CD alone is that you don't know if it's going to be viewed on a calibrated monitor.

Most people have a web site and that is a bit more complicated if, like me, you don't particularly like to specialize too much. Still studying that problem.

Hope that helps a bit.

What is this job at the country club btw?

I have found MM to be highly subjective - whom are you attracting? Models just want to make sure they're being shot by someone who will make them look good, esp. if you want to shoot TfP. MAU's look whether their work come out in portrait shots, and other photogs look for overall idea execution.

Go with what you like. Let it represent your best work, you know which your best shots are.

My favs on MM right now are the composite of the shooting/hand-washing, the model at the outdoor playhouse, the girl with the bridal veil, the girl on the rails... and the girl in the shopping cart (Unconditional Satisfaction Guaranteed).

On Flickr, there's a shot called "Excuses" that I like, but otherwise I think the best shots are already up at MM.

Good work.

I have found MM to be highly subjective - whom are you attracting? Models just want to make sure they're being shot by someone who will make them look good, esp. if you want to shoot TfP. MAU's look whether their work come out in portrait shots, and other photogs look for overall idea execution.

Go with what you like. Let it represent your best work, you know which your best shots are.

My favs on MM right now are the composite of the shooting/hand-washing, the model at the outdoor playhouse, the girl with the bridal veil, the girl on the rails... and the girl in the shopping cart (Unconditional Satisfaction Guaranteed).

On Flickr, there's a shot called "Excuses" that I like, but otherwise I think the best shots are already up at MM.

Good work.

Well I hire models from MM, so I like for models to see my best commercial work, but I dont want it to ONLY be commercial work.

Strong body of work. At this point figure out your dream job and build a portfolio around it. If it is commercial pull your commercial images. Pull from you snorgtees work and include photos like DSC 0149 and DSC 0326. Retail would be Sisters and Savanah copy 2. Fashion/editorial would be work resembling Victoria, Joe and veiled.

I forgot if you were in socal or not. At any rate; major markets require a focused book because there is a lot of competition. It all comes down to YOUR style. The country club client wants to see diversity; show it to her. Other then that Cloudwalker hit the nail on the head. Have a lot of different books.

Presentation will be up to the client you are trying to reach. Generally speaking the web will be the teaser and the deal maker in some cases. Higher end clients will need to see the printed versions, so be prepared.

Let's keep talking about this and more importantly keep editing your work. The more eyes on it the better.

I am ModelMayhem.com - Blank67 - Photographer - LA, Hermosa Beach, US on MM for those who are not already my friends.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back