NEED HELP - PLEASE read! Wedding Snafu

JReichert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joannareichertphotography.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
[h=6]I did a last-minute wedding, end of last month. The bride's mother is the one who found me, contacted me, set up the initial meeting, and paid for half of my fee as well as signed the contract with the groom's father. She's been a pleasure to work with so far. In the package I quoted them was a photobook and a canvas print, everything else discounted à la carte.

The bride's mother informed me a few days after the wedding that her daughter was no longer talking to her. Which came as no real surprise, because in all honesty the daughter was a real PIA during the initial meeting and the whole wedding day, especially to her mother. The bride's mother tells me her daughter is still, a month later, not talking to her.

And now my dilemma.

The mother all along has stated that she would like the print and the bride and groom can of course have the photobook. In emails since the wedding (while I was developing their CD of low-res, watermarked images) the bride & groom said that they want everything - both photobook AND print. I explained that the bride's mother wanted the print and they would have to discuss it with her, to which they kept responding, "We're not talking to her." ...... ooooo-kay.

I met with them in person to give them the CD last week and they were kind of aloof, asked where the photobook was (um, YOU have to pick the photos, remember?) and then mentioned the print, to which I again responded with, "(The bride's) mother said that she would like it and you should talk with her to get this cleared up," and they AGAIN responded with, "Well, we're not speaking with her right now, and we'd like it." I changed the subject and we parted shortly thereafter.

I sent them a reminder email about letting me know the images they'd like for the photobook and again reminding, a bit more bluntly, that as the bride's mother paid for half of my fee and signed the contract, I'm contractually obligated to honor HER wishes. I said that I would like the groom's father's information so that I can speak with him about this.

To which they responded (verbatim), "Hi Joanna, I realize that you signed a contract with my mother but this is Matt and My wedding photos we would like the 11x14 print, His parents who also signed the contract want us to have that print so I hope we can wok this out and we will have the photos for the book by the 7th."

Note that they did NOT give me the groom's father's info as I requested.

So I'm at this stupid crossroads that I absolutely did NOT foresee and I'm at a loss. Legally, I'm beholden to the bride's mother and the groom's father. I can say, too bad so sad to the bride & groom and just give the mother the print, but then I've been negligent as far as the father's wishes go (even though I've not been successful at contacting him thus far.)

My last ditch effort will be to offer them, at a cost equal to the price of the original canvas print, 2 smaller prints so that both bride & groom and bride's mother can have a print. But that feels like giving in and it's ridiculous that I'm stuck in the middle of this childish squabbling.

Any thoughts on this??? I'm losing sleep over this. : (
[/h]

Can you ask the bride's mother for the groom's father's information?

If you can't get ahold of him to confirm what the B&G said, I would go with the mother's wishes. She paid you and she's the one who has been communicating with you. It doesnt matter that they were the bride and groom and it's photos of their wedding, the mother is the one who paid you and signed the contract. She owns whatever she paid for. She has told you to give the B&G the photobook and that she wants the print, so that is what you do.

You can tell them politely again that legally you must follow the contract and they must work out what happens to the items with the mother. You can't break the law! Then offer them something they can pay for, if they must have their own print.

(Also, on a side note, I would create a photobook with photos you like, have them proof it, make what changes they want, etc because it's much less hassle and headache).

Along the same notes, you have a contract. You need to honor it. It really is that simple.

Have you talked to the estranged Mom? Talking to the B&G in this case is almost pointless. Your contract is with the Mom. Either return the money or honor her wishes. Legally, you don't have a choice.

On the flip side, it's going to cost you less than a hundred bucks to produce two of the prints. You could just throw it in to both parties, minimize the bad will, and move on with a lesson learned.

I would ask your lawyer what to do so you are not in breach of contract. If you don't have one, find one. Lawyer services, like insurance is a necessity.

Give everything to the mother and let her take care of the dirty family cr@p, you contracted with the mother and father.

Good luck, it's unfortunate that they are so classless that they pulled you into a family feud.

The only people you should be concerned with, are the people who signed a contract with you and paid you for your services. Everyone else really doesnt matter, even if it's their day that was photographed.
I wouldnt come out of pocket for them either, I might do a discount, but that's it considering the position they are trying to put you in.

Don't get involved honor the contract when things cool down then negotiate.

The only people you should be concerned with, are the people who signed a contract with you and paid you for your services. Everyone else really doesnt matter, even if it's their day that was photographed.
I wouldnt come out of pocket for them either, I might do a discount, but that's it considering the position they are trying to put you in.

It is easier to say and do that than to live with a review from the bride that says the photographer did not deliver 'her' picture.

There is a difference between being 'right' and running a business. One way costs you about 30 bucks. The other can cost you your business. Nobody wants a review saying the photos weren't delivered.

Honestly, it's not that much money...just fix it and get out of the fray. This isn't something you want to get caught up in.

Can't you just sell the Bride and Groom an additional fullsized print? You'll still be honouring your contract with the Brides mother and providing her with one, whilst at the same time providing the Bride and Groom with what they want. The only problem I could foresee there is if you've signed over copyright to the brides mother or if some work for hire law requires permission of the Brides mother for you to sell an additional print of the shot. That being the case speak to the mother yourself to arrange permission (only if needed - I suspect no such permission is needed).

Failing that do as suggested above, simply have a second print made (at your own cost) and take a slight hit to your earnings in order to preserve face and the services you offer.

It sounds like the argument is only internal to the family and, at the moment, isn't focused upon you; you're just caught in the crossfire so I'd take the fastest and least resistive way out - a free one-off print to the Bride and Groom.

Except it's not a simple print.

If it were a print, even though they're the ones being unreasonable, I'd do it in a heartbeat to get out of this mess and only lose, what, $8? What I offered them was a giclée canvas gallery wrap, about $70 my cost. And I'm sorry, but I'm dead broke at the moment - my 'real job' ended in September and I'm only working 2 days a week at minimum wage and can't find anything else around here. I'm not going to eat the cost of another giclée canvas. I'm just starting out in the business aspect of photography and until now, my work has 'free, they buy prints' for the things I care about - animal shelters, etc. - and things that are mutually beneficial - shooting for local restaurants to improve their 'look', they buy prints and give me free food and practice.

I haven't done anything unreasonable at this point and I don't care if this particular bride & groom can't pull one over on me - I'm leaving for Maine June 2nd to hike the Appalachian Trail and afterwards, God willing, we're moving to Tennessee, states away. But I DO care about being fair in business, and that's how I want to get this resolved.

Then offer to sell the Bride and Groom an additional print and call it a day. Ball is then in their court to pay you for the print and its their choice.

Per your request, I read it.

Having the bride's mother, and the groom's father sign the contract, instead of having the bride and groom sign the contract, is the root of your problem.

I have no solution suggestions for you.

give them what they want along with the bill - payable up front. give the mother what she is contractually obligated.

Most reactions

Back