NEED HELP - PLEASE read! Wedding Snafu

I would ask your lawyer what to do so you are not in breach of contract. If you don't have one, find one. Lawyer services, like insurance is a necessity.
Ditto

How could this be breach of contract if the bride and groom didn't sign the contract? The OP mentioned that they didn't want to spend the 70 bucks on another Giclee' so I can only assume that the 500 for a lawyer consultation is more than likely out of the picture too. Lastly, what would the lawyer say? pay me more and I'll get you out of this in court? No, they would write a letter to the bridge and groom which wouldn't help anything and cost 50-10 times what another Giclee would (which sounds like would fix this).

Lawyers are handy to have in your back pocket but they aren't always the answer, this society leans on them way too much IMO.

The breach of contract has absolutely nothing to do with the bride and groom and only to do with the people who signed the contract. And yes, if I was the mother and you did not deliver what I asked then you would be in breach of our verbal contract that the book be delivered to the bride and the print to me.

If you cannot afford a lawyer then you should not be in the wedding business. Just like starting any business you need Capitol from loans, saving or investors to pay for what you need.

Just hope this only ends up costing the OP $70 instead of thousands if the bride and groom decide to sue. If they sue for any reason and the OP is off hiking on the court date, the OP loses.

Last edited:
Except it's not a simple print.

If it were a print, even though they're the ones being unreasonable, I'd do it in a heartbeat to get out of this mess and only lose, what, $8? What I offered them was a giclée canvas gallery wrap, about $70 my cost. And I'm sorry, but I'm dead broke at the moment - my 'real job' ended in September and I'm only working 2 days a week at minimum wage and can't find anything else around here. I'm not going to eat the cost of another giclée canvas. I'm just starting out in the business aspect of photography and until now, my work has 'free, they buy prints' for the things I care about - animal shelters, etc. - and things that are mutually beneficial - shooting for local restaurants to improve their 'look', they buy prints and give me free food and practice.

I haven't done anything unreasonable at this point and I don't care if this particular bride & groom can't pull one over on me - I'm leaving for Maine June 2nd to hike the Appalachian Trail and afterwards, God willing, we're moving to Tennessee, states away. But I DO care about being fair in business, and that's how I want to get this resolved.

I would give the mother the print that was promised to her as per the contract, offer the bride a simple 11x14 print, that won't cost you $70. Do the photo book, get the rest of the money that is owed to you. Close up your photo business until you find another full time job that allows you to play "professional photographer" again. This is one of those no win situations that has to be cleaned up and walked away from.

Most reactions

Back