Need help purchasing my next DSLR

loveDSLR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
x

Last edited:
You will tend to find that most people are biased on their own camera's brand, as you can see I have a Nikon so naturally I will choose the D60. But the main reason is I haven't had much experience with Canons and zero with Sony. For me, I like how the Nikon feels in my hands rather than the Canon.

If I were going the Nikon route, I'd choose a D80/D90/D200/D300 over the D40/D40X/D60. The low-end Nikon cameras lack the ability to auto-focus with non- AF-S (or AF-I) lenses. Buying the cheapest Nikon camera, you will miss out on a lot of the less expensive lenses available for the older AF mechanical drive system. This may make the more expensive camera a better value overall once you've added a lens or two.

Best Buy had the D200 (body only) for $599 for most of the past two months, but it's recently jumped back up to $799.

As Adolan20 pointed out, the Rebel XS is a very small DSLR. Some folks like its size, and some hate it. The Rebel XSi is larger, and the EOS 40D is much larger than the Rebel XS.

x

Last edited:
Honestly, its really all semantics now between which brand is better. Every 6 months one of the big 3 releases a new monster thats better, and 3 months later so does the other brand. Nowadays its really down to what you like. For me, when I first started playing with dslr's, I tried the nikon d40 and d80, canon 20d and 5d. I loved the canons. Then I got a chance to play with my friends nikon d200, and it was love at first touch. EVERYTHING about that camera just felt right, and its what i own now. So really, go try a bunch of cameras, pick the one you like the best.

here's my quick 2 cents:

Between Canon and Nikon, odds are the difference. We don't need to descend into the ever on going Canon vs. Nikon battle.

On the other hand, personally, I wouldn't buy a Sony. For me it's because I know I will be renting lenses now, because I can't afford to buy them. And because they only rent Canon/Nikon lenses it's no dice for sony. It's also nice when I shoot events and stuff to be able to share my lenses with other photogs that happen to be there.

Other thing that's kind of disappointing is the A300 flash sync speed: 1/160th. By comparison the D40 has a sync speed of 1/500th.

To wrap it up: Canon/Nikon can't really go wrong, Sony, I'd stay away.

You may also take a look at the used camera market as well. You maybe able to find some bargains there as well.

In the past few months, I pick up a Canon 40D body for $600 and a Nikon D50 with kit lens (a friend of mine want to get into DSLR market and was looking at the D40) for $250 locally. Both have less than 2000 clicks. Of course, if you need a camera in a hurry, then it may not work.

I use Canon DSLR camera, if I am going to pick between D60 and XS, I will choose Canon XS. It is not because I am currently a Canon user. It is because I prefer CMOS sensors. And if I going to get the camera, I will like to pickup a 50mm f/1.8 AF lens. However, for D60, the only one available and the Autofocus will work with it is the AF-S 50mm f/1.4. And that cost a lot more.

But then again, if 50mm f/1.4 is the lens you are planning to get, that will not be a problem.

One thing you need to aware that, people often stay with the same brand when they upgrade because of the money invested on the lens. (Of course, there are people did change from one brand to the others) So don't just focus on camera itself. Camera lenses are also very important. If the type of photography you want to do and the system you choose has good lens support in that area, you are going to be a lot happier.

For example, if you are very serious in Bird Photography. You may found that Canon has a great lens line up for you in that area. However, if you choose Sony, you choices MAY BE a little limited (am I right? I am not 100% positive on that, but that is what I heard)

Edited
Also, from what I seen, those 3rd party lens manufacturers such as Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. When they release a new lens, they will usually release a version for Canon and Nikon. They may, or may not release it for other DSLR brands cameras. But that may change as other DSLR brands gain market share.

For example, quoted from dpreview.com

"Tokina's US distributor, THK, has announced the long-awaited AT-X 16.5-135mm DX F3.5-5.6 will be available in the summer for Canon and Nikon mounts."

Last edited:
here's my quick 2 cents:

Between Canon and Nikon, odds are the difference. We don't need to descend into the ever on going Canon vs. Nikon battle.

On the other hand, personally, I wouldn't buy a Sony. For me it's because I know I will be renting lenses now, because I can't afford to buy them. And because they only rent Canon/Nikon lenses it's no dice for sony. It's also nice when I shoot events and stuff to be able to share my lenses with other photogs that happen to be there.

Other thing that's kind of disappointing is the A300 flash sync speed: 1/160th. By comparison the D40 has a sync speed of 1/500th.

To wrap it up: Canon/Nikon can't really go wrong, Sony, I'd stay away.

The D40 has an electronic shutter and can sync up to 1/4000. That's it's saving grace in my book. It's still a CCD sensor though, which can get noisy at higher ISO's.

Anyways, best deal right now is probably a used 40D since the release cycle between the 40D and 50D was so short that people started off loading practically new cameras for such a low price.

It's a mid level camera.

But skipping that, commercial, fashion, and portraiture are all about lighting. That will be the most important thing for you to learn and for you to purchase.

from what I have seen, those 3rd party lens manufacturers such as Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. When they release a new lens, they will usually release a version for Canon and Nikon. They may, or may not release it for other DSLR brands cameras. But that may change as other DSLR brands gain market share.
My observation is that Sigma seems to offer support for the most different camera mounts. Tamron also offers their full line of lenses for the Sony/Minolta A mount, besides Canon and Nikon. Only a few Tokina lenses are currently available for mounts other than Canon and Nikon.

My observation is that Sigma seems to offer support for the most different camera mounts. Tamron also offers their full line of lenses for the Sony/Minolta A mount, besides Canon and Nikon. Only a few Tokina lenses are currently available for mounts other than Canon and Nikon.

Yes, I agree that they have more support on others now. But in general, I can assume that the new lens that they release, it will support both Canon and Nikon. But I am not sure if they will make one for others. They may, or may not.

Like the example I gave, it was just a news posted 2 days ago. And it said only for Canon and Nikon at this time. I know Sony coming pretty strong in the DSLR market. I would not surprise to see later on, those 3rd parties will make sure when they release a new lens, it will cover all Canon, Nikon and Sony. (As the new Tamron 60mm macro lens they are going to release)

I believe it is all market driven. It does not mean one camera is better than the others. But for sure they want to release a lens to large group of potential buyers. But at this moment, Canon and Nikon lens market still the strongest.

Tokina does seem a bit strange in that they dont' seem to be all that concerned about supplying Pentax, Sony and Olympus.

That said it's not allways a big issue, for example Pentax have such a good range of (Wide angle to 100mm) prime lenses that I'd never look for a non-pentax prime, no point.

So part of it comes down to what the manufacturer produces, and at what price. Pentax lenses are well priced but Nikons tend to be more expensive.

As allways the Pentax K200D should be considered, it trumps the D40/60 and the XS and XSi. The new 500D looks set to beat it, at least on functionality, although it seems to still lag behind on robustness.

x

Last edited:
I've had the D40, D40x, D50, then now I just got the D80. I loved all of them. For me Nikon was a good choice because I had some lenses from my N65. If you're used to the D60 already, then why not just get that. But you will miss out on some cheaper lenses due to the fact that the D60 doesn't have a focus motor. If you go to KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More. then you will find some good deals on some used bodies.

x

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back