Need help w/ 1st Lens selection

Wondercapture

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My first post!

Okay, so I've got an Minolta X-700 SLR camera. I am pretty ignorant, and have lightly touched the basics. I only have the lens that I think came with the camera (I received it used as a gift). It says L 35(UV) 49mm on it. Unfortunately, it has no zoom. I have looked into purchasing an inexpensive (less than $100) zoom/telephoto zoom lens, but I have no idea which to buy. I am not sure what the difference is between regular zoom and telephoto + zoom...I will use this lens to take pictures outside (nature, landscape, etc) but also some indoor objects. Thanks for reading this long list of questions, and I hope you can help! :wink:

I've found a Minolta 70-210 Zoom lens with manual focus for my X-700 on ebay. I've checked it out, and the seller says it's in very good condition with no scratches and minimal dust. Even better, it's at a very low price. Does this sound like a good lens for me?

If it's going cheap, all working and the seller looks ok then it's definitely worth considering.
I won't say "yes" because it's not my place to. :)

Okay, I have a question about the lens I mentioned. Is this a telephoto lens as well, or would it say so if it was? I'll give the link so everyone can check it out, just don't bid on it please (lol)!
the lens: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3868586290&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Actually, I'm depending on someone pretty knowledgeable to choose one of these lenses because I don't know at all what I need...I know I want a good beginner zoom lens, but I don't know if I need telephoto...it seems pretty cool, though. If anybody has time, please check these (including the one above) out! Thank you all so much!

sigma 100-200 mm Zoom Lens F/4.5 MD 200mm Telephoto

Minolta MD Mount 80-200 mm f/4.5 Telephoto Zoom Lens

**I've already bid on a macro lens...do macros include regular zoom?**

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Talking 35mm and in very basic terms, telephoto lenses are pretty much any lens which brings stuff closer than the normal eye (which is around what a 50mm lens does). So 70mm and over are telephoto. It's a very loose term.
That eBay lens looks like a good place to start. It isn't the biggest lens around, or the best. But for starting out it is pretty much ideal. Expect the price to rise with a few hours to go though. One thing you'll notice if you really get into photography is that you will always want a bigger lens. The biggest I have is 300mm and it isn't enough for me. But we all have to deal and and work with what we've got.
I've just found this site which gives great examples of different focal lengths. http://www.warehouseexpress.com/photo/lenstech/tamfocal.html
Looking at those other two lenses you've posted I see little difference between them. They both end at 200mm. One starts at 80, the other 100mm. The extra 20mm you have to play with on the Minolta will come in handy. But if there is a big price difference between the two towards the end of the auction I'd go with the cheaper. Providing the lens works.

That macro lens you've bid on isn't actually a macro lens. True macro lenses allow you to achieve at least 1:1 magnification. That is, what you take a picture of will be the same size on the negative as it is in real life. When manufacturers call a lens such as the one you've posted as macro they are telling you that you can focus nearer with that lens than you would be able to normally with a lens of that type. That's not to say that it isn't good, but if you think you can do proper macro wor with that lens then you'll be disapointed.
It is a 35-70mm zoom though. It would work well with either of those three other lenses you posted. You'd use the 35-70mm and when you wanted a biger lens take it off and put the other on.

That's good news, because I lost the marco lens auction. However, I'm probably going to bid on the Minolta lens sooner or later. Thanks for your help!

Generally on 35mm cameras, the 50 to 55mm are considered the NORMAL lenses since they give you a one to one with what you see in your viewfinder/neg. To see this open your other non-viewing eye as you look into your viewfinder and focus. You see there is no difference in what either eye is seeing as far as magnification and field of view.

Now... under the NORMAL lens is wide angle adn above is tele.

A good general pourpose zoom lens in a 28-90mm. It is great for wide landscapes as well as some portrait work. OTH: a 28-200mm is a bit more coverage but think about the speed of the lens at that point... it'll drop considerable from say a 2.8 to 5.6 at best. That is the compromise in zoom lenses. You have to give up quality in lens and speed for the benifit of zoom range.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back