Need Help!! What Tripod to buy for Nikon D80 w/Macro Lens

Alikay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My BF has made mention of wanting a tripod, and I would like to get him one for Christmas. I know nothing about photography, and need help.

He has the new Nikon D80 with 3 lens, the biggest being a macro. Right now he uses his camera for product photos for his website, watches, clothing, vacations (we just came back from Hawaii), etc.

From what I have found on the forum so far, it sounds like a tripod with a "ball head" might work for his needs. But again, I am an ignorant on this stuff! :???:

In need of suggestions that might fit his needs and keep the camera off the ground. Hoping to keep it under $500.

Thanks to all!! :D

I recently bought the Silk sprint pro, its really solid and only cost about $110.

see:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145739

Came out to $270 or so just for the tripod and head (which is all you need). $500 would net you a very, very nice tripod. If he doesn't already have one, I would throw in a $100 50mm f/1.8 lens as well, very bright and sharp lens to have.

Appropriate links:

Tripod/ball head combo: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/505863-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__055XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html
Nikon 55 mm f/1.8 lens: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-USA/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html

Thanks for the input!

From quick glance, it looks like this would be something that would fit his needs. AND- i might get out of this a little cheaper than i was expecting.

I'm not sure what he would use the lens you suggested for (again photography moron here), but will check into that as well.

the nifty fifty is a great portrait lense and just a great walk around lense

$500 is far more than good enough for normal use.
BTW: you shall understand tripod and head may be sold individually. Take care of your budget.

I'd suggest you buy a tripod (including the head) whose rated maximum payload at least being double of the weight of D80 and his most heavy lens. This greatly helps improve its stability.

You know (or maybe you don't know, it doesn't matter), D80 is neither provided with mirror lock nor mirror pre-lift in self-timer shooting mode as top class camera does. Thus tripod shall be stable enough to suppress mirror-induced vibration especially under artificial light for product photography (because under such light, shutter speed can neither be high nor slow enough to eliminate the effection of mirror-induced vibration).

"Ball head" is not necessary for product photography. Maybe a 3-dimension head is better because it's easier to find vertical and horizontal level. "Ball head" is good for portrait photography.

Is the "nifty fifty" lens the same or similar to the "Nikon 55 mm f/1.8" lens?

I think I might end up getting a tripod and 2 different heads (ball and 3-dimension perhaps) to give him a few options to play with.

It's awesome to see that people on this forum are so helpful and friendly- I am hoping to get my new camera here within the next month are so, and take a class (to learn to use my camera and learn some photog basics). At least I know I have a place to come to for all things photography!

Is the nifty fifty lens the same or similar to the Nikon 55 mm f/1.8 lens?...

I think it refers to Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D, the cheapeat but one of the best Nikon lenses.Nikon doesn't produce a lens of type 55mm f/1.8. Many years ago Nikon produced manual focus 55mm f/2.8 Micro lens and later Nikkor AF 60mm f/2.8 Micro substituted for it. Now Nikkor AF-S 60mm f/2.8G Micro replaces AF 60mm Micro.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back