Need help with a REAL ufo pic

BTW, first when i saw it i thought, oh my god, a plane has caught fire. but then i realised it was a fireball.

A beautiful nature experience by the way. In my case also in the middle of beautiful Dartmoor.

Also, one more addendum.

I would guess, from what you describe what you saw it was one or two fireballs.

What is on the image, however, has nothing to do with the fireball.

The fireball appears bright in the dark night sky, however, if you use your flash, you will illuminate the foreground many orders of magnitude brighter, than the fireball is. Hence, with auto-exposure, you will not see the fireball at all.

But you will see that dust floating in front of you p&s lens.

Also, one more addendum.

I would guess, from what you describe what you saw it was one or two fireballs.

What is on the image, however, has nothing to do with the fireball.

The fireball appears bright in the dark night sky, however, if you use your flash, you will illuminate the foreground many orders of magnitude brighter, than the fireball is. Hence, with auto-exposure, you will not see the fireball at all.

But you will see that dust floating in front of you p&s lens.

"
Interestingly enough, many reports of spheroidal objects contain references to a 'misty' or cloudy flow emanating from the top of the objects suggesting a possible propulsion or energy source.

Alex this was not my quote and not what I described.

I have checked out fireballs on astronomical sites and can find no reports of the quantity we saw ever being reported (we saw about 100 in 10 mins .Also they say that fireballs last at most for 4 or 5 seconds (ours were in view for about 30 seconds as they approached went overhead and moved of into the distance) generally leave a trail or appear to give of "bits" ( these did not ) and travel on path that is from 20 degree to a 40 degree angle ( ours were coming over horizontal to the ground ) also bog standard fireballs that they are talking about do not zoom in to packs of other fireballs and them slow right down taking up posistion within these clusters.

I dont know what we have witnessed but as someone who has watched the sky at night for years I have never seen anything like this.Yesterday they even showed a special Sky at Night on BBC 3 about .... meteors and fireballs.I have decided to contact them and report what I have seen. I will advise them that the picture I have is said to contain only camera anomolies but I want them to take my report seriously.If a week ago youd have asked me what astronomical event I would like to see it would have to have been a full solar eclipse from the equator.I would now take what I saw last Friday night over that.

If Fireballs are what they are then what I said earlier still goes.There seems to be an unprecidented amount.Keep your cameras ready at least for the next week.I mean it.If you got to see what I saw you wont be disapointed and if you can remember to take a photo whilst you stand there with your mouths wide open you just might get one hell of a shot.

Anyway thanks for letting me join your forum to show my picture and discuss this and for all your views.If I get the chance to get more shots I'll post them but other than that I dont want to abuse your forum with what esentially should be discussed on another kind of site I think.The "I believe , I dont believe" argument should be carried on elswere and one that I sit on the fence on even after what I have seen.For this website my atitude was just to report factually something that would and should have made a stunning photograph.You guys have got the tools - go get 'em whatever they are - they seem to be about at the moment.

OK, but at least, with on-camera flash, if there was something in the sky which was not extremely bright, you could not have captured.

maybe it was extremely bright, then it could be in the image.

you might realise I am not joining in a believe or not believe thing anyway ;) i try to keep things technical ;)

OK, but at least, with on-camera flash, if there was something in the sky which was not extremely bright, you could not have captured.

maybe it was extremely bright, then it could be in the image.

you might realise I am not joining in a believe or not believe thing anyway ;) i try to keep things technical ;)

Bill, did you mean to say" IF it was extremely bright"?
If so it was - that is what I find puzzling ( on the technical side of just the photo - forgeting the event as a whole)

BUT and its a big but because I will have to take the word of people with more experience than me I honestly think I have captured something in the photo other than noise.I can see some kind of "structure" for want of a better word to some of the "noise" objects.Yes some that I think are real maybe just artifacts that by chance happen to be in areas that the lights were but I do think I have a couple of real ones in there minus the red light that was coming from them.

EDIT - I have decided to possibly go out tomorrow night depending on the weather and keep a vigile with my camera for a couple of hours just before and after midnight.If I see something I will use my camera.What setting would be best for an Olympus Camedia 350 zoom ?There only seem to be basic preset settings available.I'm going to go anyway even if the camera is incapable of capturing them as it is still worthwhile seeing them.Having had a heart attack 18 months ago the prospect of standing at the top of the local field for an hour or two is not one I'm particulary looking forward to but a hip flask or two might help.Oh to be 20 again !

If what took WAS a UFO, maybe its connetected to whatevers going on in TX.=D

If what took WAS a UFO, maybe its connetected to whatevers going on in TX.=D

????

Please explain !

Anyway
I think the problem is knowing what areas and anomolies you think I'm looking at - its not that obvious unless properly pointed out.
I dont know what set of images that I've posted you guys are viewing because most have been resized on the hosting websites but if any one wants me to send a small file with 3 images - the full original,original with the circled anomolies that I am interested in and a daytime image from roughly the same posistion then please ask.I am only to interested in making the most of a bad image.

"I am only to interested in making the most of a bad image."

There is no amount of photoshoping, cropping, re-sizing or brightening of a picture that will give you information that was never captured. So, even if there was UFOs in the background, because of the way you went about trying to film them, the camera did not pick up whatever you wanted it to.

The anomolies have already been discussed. One of the pictures has them circled so I doubt there is confusion as to what we are looking at. This is a very common place effect that happens with built-in flashes on digital cameras. You would be hard-pressed to find these "orbs" if you had avoided using flash or used better lighting equipment.

As for what you did see, I have no idea.

Most reactions

Back