Need help with a tricky lighting venue (wedding!)

RadioGoddess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, fellow shutterbugs!
I am shooting a wedding this Saturday as a favor to my cousin, and I just discovered that it will be in a round glass building that is about 4 stories tall. Since the wedding is at 5pm EST, it will be DARK!
I am just looking for any tips anyone might have to help me get this right! I'm trying not to panic........
Thanks, and I appreciate in advance any and all assistance !

RG

what equipment do you have?
What is the lighting in the church?
Thank you for your reply!

I have a Nikon D300 and an SB300 flash. No church. The service will be in a round glass building that is about 4 stories tall. I am very worried about having a nasty flash in every photo!

Thanks again!
RG

Given your equipment, I might be a bit worried. Your best bet is to get the flash off camera... do you have the ability to do that?

Definitely going to be a challenge. The SB300 is really inadequate to the task; is renting a more appropriate speedlight an option? As mentioned, getting the flash off the camera is ideal, but if that's not an option, than keep close to your subjects, putting as much separation between them and the background as possible, and use minimum flash power. Also look for 'blockers' plants, other people, etc so that you're not shooting directly onto glass!

Given your equipment, I might be a bit worried. Your best bet is to get the flash off camera... do you have the ability to do that?
I have a frame - but that's it. I will discuss it with them at the rehearsal --- if the wedding were earlier (daylight) it wouldn't be an issue. I'm also hoping for heavy duty lights outside that might help mitigate the box I'll be in!

Thanks for your assistance ! I really appreciate it!

RG

Definitely going to be a challenge. The SB300 is really inadequate to the task; is renting a more appropriate speedlight an option? As mentioned, getting the flash off the camera is ideal, but if that's not an option, than keep close to your subjects, putting as much separation between them and the background as possible, and use minimum flash power. Also look for 'blockers' plants, other people, etc so that you're not shooting directly onto glass!

Thanks ! I don't know that I can rent the equipment in the time I have, but I will def. be looking into it tomorrow.
The bride and groom are artists and will understand the issue -- hopefully the venue coordinator can help, too.
Thanks for your help!!!!
RG

Thanks ! I don't know that I can rent the equipment in the time I have, but I will def. be looking into it tomorrow.
The bride and groom are artists and will understand the issue -- hopefully the venue coordinator can help, too.
Thanks for your help!!!!
RG

One last question, and thanks again for sharing your knowledge with me -

Keep the polarizing filters on or take them off ?

I have decided to voice my concerns, ask for a separate venue for taking after ceremony shots and I'll let the bride, groom and venue manager decide --

Thanks everyone!
Lisa

No filter because that cuts down light. (unless there is tremendous glare)

If this is an unworkable venue, don't do it.
Once you start shooting, there will be expectations and the expectations will always be higher than you think.
Part of being a working photographer is knowing the limits of what you and your equipment can do and then managing the expectations of the client.
D300, weak flash, probably slow lens is totally inadequate for any dark situation.

what equipment do you have?
What is the lighting in the church?
Thank you for your reply!

I have a Nikon D300 and an SB300 flash. No church. The service will be in a round glass building that is about 4 stories tall. I am very worried about having a nasty flash in every photo!

Thanks again!
RG

Get that flash (or better yet multiple flashes) OFF the camera! Put the flashes on light stands (pre-aimed at the people) and try not to shoot directly into the flash reflectors.

I'd rent about 5 or 6 studio flashes and stands, some softboxes, and radio remote triggers for them all. Set everything up before the ceremony (including the power levels), and then bang away!

What about flashing straight up ir even in a slight angle backwarts. I once shot at a art gallery where erverything was behind glass, the angle te avoid the reflections will be crussial

You just found out that you'll be photographing in a 4 story glass building?? This 'doing a favor for ___' (cousin, friend of a friend) seems to not usually be the best idea instead of referring them to a pro who has the equipment and knowhow to do this.

I would suggest you get over there before Saturday at the appropriate time of day and take some test shots if the venue could let you stop in and do that. If not go early I guess and do some daytime test shots to at least see what glare/reflections you might be getting, and as they're getting ready to start the ceremony and it's starting to get dark do a quick test shot to get set/adjust settings.

With that much light coming in starting out you might be able to use the existing light maybe? Once it's getting dark I don't know what the existing light indoors will be like but think about which way you're facing and the backgrounds to get the ceremony and hopefully minimal glare/reflection if you intend to use a flash. You might need to keep checking and adjusting as the sun goes down and indoor light becomes what you're using. I've found doing events where they raise and lower lights or have spotlights (or a TV crew's lights) that I've had to change and adjust fairly quickly.

Can you share the name of the venue? It would be interesting to research and see if there are any photos online to help with advice.Hopefully they have adequate lighting, considering it is not a church it may have decent lighting to begin with.

No filter because that cuts down light. (unless there is tremendous glare)

If this is an unworkable venue, don't do it.
Once you start shooting, there will be expectations and the expectations will always be higher than you think.
Part of being a working photographer is knowing the limits of what you and your equipment can do and then managing the expectations of the client.
D300, weak flash, probably slow lens is totally inadequate for any dark situation.

Thanks again!!
Its not an option - its a family member, and I'm doing it for free. I've just warned them about my concerns and we will meet at the venue the afternoon before. I'm hoping we can leave the glass room and go somewhere else at least for the group shots after the ceremony --- I'm shooting in the raw so they can have max edit capabilities.

I'll let you know how it all turns out! Thanks again-
RG

Can you share the name of the venue? It would be interesting to research and see if there are any photos online to help with advice.Hopefully they have adequate lighting, considering it is not a church it may have decent lighting to begin with.

Sure! Its the Half Moone Cruise Terminal and Event Center (I think I have that right) - its in Norfolk, VA.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back