NEED HELP WITH AF- AREA MODE

jessica_t

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I HAVE A NIKON D3200 FOR SOME REASON I CANNOT CLICK DYNAMIC-AREA AF, OR 3D-TRACKING. WHEN I GO INTO MENU THEN THE SHOOTING MENU I CLICK ON AF- AREA MODE. THEN VIEW FINDER. THE ONLY TWO OPTIONS I CAN CLICK ON ARE SINGLE POINT AF AND AUTO AREA AF. IF I TRY AND CLICK ON THE OTHER TWO (DYNAMIC-AREA AF, OR 3D-TRACKING) IT SAYS "THIS OPTION IS NOT AVAILABLE AT CURRENT SETTINGS OR IN CAMERA'S CURRENT STATE" I KNOW THIS I PROBABLY A REALLY STUPID QUESTION, BUT WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

UPDATE:I JUST SET MY FOCUS MODE TO AF-A AND NOW IT SEEMS I AM ABLE TO CLICK ON DYNAMIC-AREA AF, OR 3D-TRACKING. I HAD IT ORIGINALLY SET AT AF-S, AND IT WAS NOT ALLOWING ME TO CHOOSE THOSE TWO OPTIONS. I NOTICED THAT ONLY WHEN I HAVE IT SET ON AF-S DOES IT NOT ALLOW ME TO. (AN OBV MF). BUT, WHY IS THAT? WHY DOES IT ONLY WORK ON AF-A AND AF-C? I HAVE ALOT TO LEARN

Last edited:
are you shooting in auto mode?

The first step is to read your your user manual at least a couple of times.Page 38 in your user manual covers this.If your in full automatic the camera does all the thinking for you.Basically you have a point & shoot.

Just keep in mind Dynamic area will tend to focus on closets subject priority,another words if your taking a picture of whatever but there is something in the frame closer then your subject,one of the focus points could focus on the closets object and render your main subject out of focus.Thats where single point comes in,you select one of the focus points on the subject and it stays put on that subject.Or use AF-C continues focus if you know the subject may likely move.

Last edited:
All capital text means fewer people are going to bother reading your entire question and helping you out, by the way.

The references to typing in all caps is because all caps is the online equivalent of shouting, and is considered poor netiquette.

By the same token typing in all lower case and using multiple periods (...) is considered lazy and disrespectful, and also poor netiquette.

DarkShadow got you pointed in the right direction regarding auto focus options for your camera. The complete D3200 users manual is a PDF file on the software disc that came with the camera.
Or you can download it here - https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13948/kw/manuals/r_id/116678

Many people download the users manual for their camera to their mobile device so it's always with them.

Most reactions

Back