Need help with an odd question

stone_family3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to make "spirit photographs" I want to pretty much expose the negative twice but my problem is matching up the back grounds. So If I cut out the person shape in a black piece of paper and then just photographed the person in the photo. Then photographed say a picture of my Husband would that work.

I just want the "spirit" standing behind him in the distance.

I'm just afraid the background of the old photograph would show up to much.

If I understand correctly, the trick is to use a dead [sorry!] black background and a tripod. Shoot the subject at normal exposure. Then cock the shutter without re-winding the film and shoot the 'spirit' in a blank portion of the frame with perhaps 1/2 to 1/4 normal exposure. Trial and error will get the density of the 'spirit' image adjusted to your liking.

Classic "spirit photography", as it was practiced in the mid-19th century, was accomplished by making a double exposure with the "spirit" in only one of the two exposures. The camera would be securely mounted on a tripod so that nothing in the two shots aligned perfectly. Also, care must be taken to see that nothing in the scene moves (e.g. wind blown leaves, a non-spirit person, ...).

Generally, the two exposures would be equal, each one stop under exposed. This would leave a faint, partially transparent ghostly image of the "spirit". By shifting the exposures slightly one way or the other (e.g. one shot two stops under and one only 1/2 stop under) the faintness of the "spirit" could be increases or decreased.

Most reactions

Back