Need help with budget lens for birds

timtkc84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to the photography world. I purchased myself a D7000 a week ago that came with the 18mm-105mm lens kit. I've become really interested in photos of birds and would like to get into taking pictures of them. The lens that came with the camera doesn't seem to do justice. My budget is $400 dollars. Are there lens out there that does a good job at capturing birds with that budget and also does good bokeh? Any recommendations? Thanks!

For $400 your best bet is a used or refurbished Nikkor 70-300. They are excellent lenses but are close to $600 new. Longer is better for birds so if you can find a used 400mm or 500mm give it consideration as well. They can be had for $400 to $500 on occasion.

For $400 your best bet is a used or refurbished Nikkor 70-300. They are excellent lenses but are close to $600 new. Longer is better for birds so if you can find a used 400mm or 500mm give it consideration as well. They can be had for $400 to $500 on occasion.

^THIS! That 70-300 VR is your best bet in that budget! Also budget in some camouflage, maybe a cheap blind... and practice your stalking skills!

Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR is the lens you should get, I got mine for 280$ used in near mint condition through kijiji.

Awesome lens!!!

Thanks guys! I just purchased one at the local store..brand new. smh lol Went over my budget...oh well. I am not very good at being patient. ;/

Congrats on your new lens, I am sure you will be very happy with it :)

Enjoy!

Thanks guys! I just purchased one at the local store..brand new. smh lol Went over my budget...oh well. I am not very good at being patient. ;/

-Went over my budget to purchase Photography equipment.....- If I had a dollar every time I said that..... LOL :) Enjoy!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back