need help with car photography with girls

silve225

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone my friend asked me if i can take some pictures for him of his cars. I said no problem as lately i have been photographing alot of cars. But he also said he will have 1 or 2 girls posing in the picture with his car. My question is how should i go about taking these pictures. Also most likely these pics will be taking at sunset and i only have one speedlight. Should i point the light on the girl or on the car. Or should i do both and then photoshop the two images together. Please let me know any tips. Thanks in advanced.

Depends on a very specific ratio: hotness of the girls vs. coolness of the car.
That'll decide what you spotlight.

Depends on a very specific ratio: hotness of the girls vs. coolness of the car.
That'll decide what you spotlight.

that makes a lot of sense. I havent seen the girl yet but i do know she is 24 years old. Whats going to be tough is if its a hot girl then i will have a hard time picking where to put the light since my 2 favorite things is girls and cars. But what i could do is the light pointed at the girl then move it to the car and just take two pictures of every pose so this way when i get home i can pick which one i like.

What lighting and equipment will you be using?

I will be using a yongnuo 468ii and a wireless trigger. Thats all i have to use as i didnt have money to buy anything else. Also im using a nikon d5100 and a tripod. Also i will be usinging either a fixed 50mm 1.8 lens or the kit lens

50mm lens. Tripod. Shoot car. Shoot girl on car. Stack. Mask. Done.

Could possibly work if you are good in post...and work quick.

OR.....light the girl and "feature" the car. Your buddy wants too much IMO and should pick if he wants a car shot or a model shot, or both seperately.

If you're including a model, shooting at sunset (with only one light) may be biting off more than you can chew. Camera on a tripod is great for shooting cars, but add in a human subject and now your shutter speed becomes a lot more important.

Compositing is actually a real possibility here.

Nail the camera to the tripod, make it solid. Ideally, use a remote release, but if not, release the shutter with a light touch in what follows.

1) Stick the girl on the car or whatever and light her, screw the car. Get a good photograph of the girl with your light and a reflector.
2) Now, without moving the camera, take some more shots of the car, walking the light around the car. Take a bunch of shots of the car, try **** out. Remember, for this part you can use a much longer shutter speed to balance the ambient with the flash. Be sure you bounce some light onto the wheels, car guys wanna see the wheels.

You should be able to composite 3 or 4 shots of the car together with the girl to make it look like you have 4 or 5 lights in play, without a whole lot of trouble. Mask and blend, young padwan, mask and blend.

50mm lens. Tripod. Shoot car. Shoot girl on car. Stack. Mask. Done.

Could possibly work if you are good in post...and work quick.

[fixed] 50mm lens. Tripod. Shoot car. Remove her cloths. Shoot girl on car. Stack. Mask. Done.

thanks guys you gave me really good ideas. Im hoping to do this either next week or the week after. I will post the pics after i take them. I might be doing it late afternoon though since the weather is getting colder but i will figure that out the day of the photoshoot. thanks again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back