Need help with deleted images from CF card

sstonephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Looking for help - have deleted some of a portrait shoot (all the family shots) from my CF card. Only problem is - I then had another shoot and so have reused my card - and filled it?
Have tried a couple of data recovery programs including the one enclosed with the CF card (sandisk extreme III - 2GB) which is rescue-pro but it only retrieved what was already on the card! Does anyone have any way I can get these images back?

just deleting images means you can often retrieve them with special software (as only the table is erased which tells where the respective iamge data can be found on the medium).

However, if you format or overwrite with new data, the old images are gone forever, sorry :(

So if you filled up the card almost completely a second time, then all the old data is most likely overwritten and hence gone ...

I think Alex is right.
Data is retreivable if deleted as long as the space that data is on, is not used for new data.
If you write new data onto the space you wish to receover then i think your chances are slim to none.
However i had a recent hard drive crash and searched the net for info. I found several companies who could receover info from damaged drives even if they had been dropped in water.
It may be worth while emailing a company with that sort of expertise and see what they say - they may have a no recovery, no charge set up in place.
in that case, all it would cost you is postage.

Buggar!!! Think I lost about 40 shots .... will put it down to very busy pre-xmas season. At least it wasn't a wedding! I bet I never do this again!
I have emailed sandisk to see what they say .... will let you all know if a miracle happens and I have any luck.

no miracles to come here ...

i had the same thing happen to me a while ago. as someone already said, if you shot more images on the card after deleting them, you may be out of luck.

when you press delete, the images arent really deleted. all that happens is the space occupied by the images you deleted is designated as free space, and can be written over. i used a program called "Active UnDelete" and was able to retrieve all of my shots, and a few others that hadnt been written over, but i took the card and set it aside until i found a program that worked to undelete the shots.

i dont remember how much that program cost, but im pretty sure it was under $50. they do have a free trial too, but i think either the size or the number of files you can retrieve is limited.

good luck getting your images back. hopefully, youll have the same luck i did.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back