Need help with dirty lens

Synergy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there!

I have a Zuiko 50mm f1.4 standard lens for my OM-1, I generally avoid using it because I think there maybe mould or some thing covering the inside of the lens, but I’m not sure. When I catch the light correctly, I can see a light, grey coloured film covering one of the elements, I don’t think it’s the coatings it makes me think that the lens was dropped into dirty water and has left a film of dirt inside! I’m considering replacing it or having it cleaned and wondered what peoples experiences were with having lenses cleaned and what you might think this film is? BTW all the pictures I take with it look dull and muted!

Many Thanks

Synergy

You should get an estimate on what it would cost to have cleaned, and compare this to the value of the lens. Most camera shops outsource repairs, so you might as well cut out the middle man, and find the repair shop yourself. Check with Olympus groups about who to send it to.

If you decide to replace it, don't throw it away. See if you can take it apart and clean it. At worst you'll learn that it's too complicated and throw it away. At best you might fix it! You can find sites with instructions on how to repair some lenses.

your lens has built up some fungus inside the elements, due to moisture/humidity.

your only recourse would be to find out if it can be cleaned. like ksmattfish said, see if it's worth getting it cleaned or simply buying a new one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back