Need help with file sharing-IM would be awesome!

I agree that the might mice do suck. However, I have NEVER suffered a shortage of mac software. Most major programs work on both, and Mac also has its own community of tens of thousands on nifty little apps that are mac only. What program did you need to have that mac couldn't do?

You know, I didn't have the Mac very long, but having been a Windows user all my life, everything I own is Windows based, so I had nothing I could use on the laptop.. My biggest frustration was downloading Quicktime and not being able to just execute it by clicking on it. How stupid that was.. It's almost like the Apple folks sat down and said, "Now whatever we do, we can't do anything that will be familiar to Windows users to make them think we're trying to be them.. So let's make everything as very different as possible, from the file system to the mouse to the way you install simple things like Quicktime.. "

Maybe I am missing out by not using a Mac-I hear they're used almost exclusively in the professional video world because of their powerful processors. Maybe one day I'll have more patience and want to learn another OS, but for now Windows does everything I need. If I could only figure out this networking issue-I know it's something simple that I'm missing.

Ubuntu actually runs very well on my MB. I usually don't run it very often because osX does everything I need, but it is there if I want to play. I installed Win 7 Beta build 7000 last night...just need some time to play with it. While everything I own is Apple, Win 7 looks very nice for those "stuck" with vista. Competition is always good.

A buddy of mine, Windows user, started using Linux, and he liked it so much that he divorced Windows and ran a server on Linux alone. He claimed it was much more stable than Windows and utilized the memory much more efficiently. I have three computers, so I think I may start playing around with that again. Many business customers of mine use it because you don't have to have a license for every system running it, like you do with windows, so they save thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.

Ubuntu actually runs very well on my MB. I usually don't run it very often because osX does everything I need, but it is there if I want to play. I installed Win 7 Beta build 7000 last night...just need some time to play with it. While everything I own is Apple, Win 7 looks very nice for those "stuck" with vista. Competition is always good.

Windows 7 is something I have on yet another computer, I've had it since it was released and so far like it. The networking takes some getting used to, you now have Workgroups and Homegroups.

if you had a hard time running quicktime, you were deffinatly doing something wrong... first of all, you shouldnt have had to download it... it comes installed on macs... second, it sounds like you downloaded the windows version, not the mac version...

sorry, but the reason why i didnt understand what you meant, is because i DONT run winblows on my macs.. I never will, and have never had to.. any software that I need, is available in a Mac format.. i think its foolish to run windows on a mac, and completely voids the reason to get a mac...

i feel bad for you that you dont understand mac or its purposes... enjoy your winblows machine, and good luck with your networking issues.. i cant help you with it, because I dont know much about winblows anymore (using mac for 7 years now)

Chris,

Didn't you just have a child born into your family? Didn't I recently compliment you on your beautiful wife?

Do you really think that the father of a newborn baby should be using infantile words like, "winblows" and taking such offense to something that is absolutely immaterial to your life and your situation? You're getting so defensive over something that will affect you in no way. You use a Mac, I use Windows-who cares? What does it matter to you what operating system I use? I simply asked for help with a networking problem, and you went off on some childish rant about how Windows sucks, calling it, "Winblows" repeatedly. Let's try to be a little more mature in future dealing, huh, new dad.. You've reached a time in your life where it's time to stop being a child and graduate to manhood.. Also, if I were a potential customer of yours and I found this thread, I'd certainly look elsewhere, so if you're trying to further your professional photography career, it's time to man up.

You came in here offering absolutely no help, but instead used it as an opportunity to bash Windows.. Come on.

Last edited:
wow, you get offended really easy... dont take things written on an internet forum so personally... sorry if i think your slow for not understanding how to use Mac.. its crazy easy to use.. and I feel bad for you that you couldnt figure it out...

and yes, i will call it winblows.. i always will.. because it blows..

also every customer i have had knows how I feel about windows.. I've told them all, because I always mention that I do my work on a mac.. and they always say "oh, thats awesome, I wish I had a mac" if me calling windows winblows turns a customer away, I'm 100% ok with that because it should be the quality of my photos that gets customers, not a word I use on a forum

wow, you get offended really easy... dont take things written on an internet forum so personally... sorry if i think your slow for not understanding how to use Mac.. its crazy easy to use.. and I feel bad for you that you couldnt figure it out...

and yes, i will call it winblows.. i always will.. because it blows..

also every customer i have had knows how I feel about windows.. I've told them all, because I always mention that I do my work on a mac.. and they always say "oh, thats awesome, I wish I had a mac" if me calling windows winblows turns a customer away, I'm 100% ok with that because it should be the quality of my photos that gets customers, not a word I use on a forum

who's a big boy? want a cookie?

ehh all in all i think osx and windows are great system for whatever you need to do...i been using mac as long as i been using windows... mac is alilbit more easy to navigate and the best part is no virus......anyway on your networking.....have you tried setting the external hard driver as a NAS?

ehh all in all i think osx and windows are great system for whatever you need to do...i been using mac as long as i been using windows... mac is alilbit more easy to navigate and the best part is no virus......anyway on your networking.....have you tried setting the external hard driver as a NAS?

Hey, now we're getting somewhere.. Now, if I can only figure out what an NAS is, I'll let you know.. Off to Wikipedia I go..

Edit: Okay, I found a definition here.

Last night I installed Windows 7 on my laptop due to all of the conversation in here, and it looks really nice so far.. A little glitchy, like not being able to get my laptop to wake up this morning, even though the power light was on steady.. Had to unplug the AC and the battery to turn it off and reboot, but all in all running smooth..

One problem is that I turn my external off when I'm not using it, because it's my safety drive. I back everything up to it then turn it off so that it will last. There's debate about whether turning things off will make them last longer, with the constant spinning up of turning it on, etc., but that's the course I'm taking..

Now, about the NAS, I don't think that's the problem because I can't even see the desktop in My Network Places, and I've got it's C: drive shared.. I think the problem is either in the router settings or the ZoneAlarm settings..

P.S. That picture in your signature is gorgeous!

Last edited:
My biggest frustration was downloading Quicktime and not being able to just execute it by clicking on it. How stupid that was.. It's almost like the Apple folks sat down and said, "Now whatever we do, we can't do anything that will be familiar to Windows users to make them think we're trying to be them.. So let's make everything as very different as possible, from the file system to the mouse to the way you install simple things like Quicktime.. "

<rant>

:lol::lol::lol::lmao::greenpbl::greenpbl:
I can see that you tried to use your mac assuming that its a Windows PC, but sorry its not. Quicktime is a part of Mac OS X - you don't need to install it, its already there. If you try to install the windows binary that you downloaded from Apple's site, it won't work because its a windows program. If you looked at the thing at the bottom of your screen, you would have seen the "dock" with a quicktime logo in it. If you clicked the QT logo, QT would have started. You didn't have to try to "install" QT.

You're like a person who is used to old Japanese SLRs that is trying to load film in a leica. You open the back of the camera and try to load film into it but you can't, so you curse the camera and claim that leicas suck. You fail to realize that you load the film through the bottom. It's equally easy, if not easier, but different, but you don't like it, because you don't want to RTFM.

</rant>

P.S. don't take it personally, but what you said made me laugh.

<rant>

:lol::lol::lol::lmao::greenpbl::greenpbl:
I can see that you tried to use your mac assuming that its a Windows PC, but sorry its not. Quicktime is a part of Mac OS X - you don't need to install it, its already there. If you try to install the windows binary that you downloaded from Apple's site, it won't work because its a windows program. If you looked at the thing at the bottom of your screen, you would have seen the "dock" with a quicktime logo in it. If you clicked the QT logo, QT would have started. You didn't have to try to "install" QT.

You're like a person who is used to old Japanese SLRs that is trying to load film in a leica. You open the back of the camera and try to load film into it but you can't, so you curse the camera and claim that leicas suck. You fail to realize that you load the film through the bottom. It's equally easy, if not easier, but different, but you don't like it, because you don't want to RTFM.

</rant>

P.S. don't take it personally, but what you said made me laugh.

Actually, I remember what happened quite well.. I was trying to watch videos on a site such as Live Leak, and where the video window should have been there was a message stating that the video required Quicktime and provided a link to download the latest version.. So I clicked it, and it downloaded.. But I was unsuccessful at, not only finding the download once it completed, I was unsuccessful at installing it due to it being elusive..

Of course I don't know anything about Macs to know what good or not, but this is the Powerbook I had that I traded for my Dell:

IMG_4812.jpg

IMG_4813.jpg

I thought the slot-load CD was pretty cool:

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4816.jpg

IMG_4817.jpg

Hey, now we're getting somewhere.. Now, if I can only figure out what an NAS is, I'll let you know.. Off to Wikipedia I go..

Edit: Okay, I found a definition here.

Last night I installed Windows 7 on my laptop due to all of the conversation in here, and it looks really nice so far.. A little glitchy, like not being able to get my laptop to wake up this morning, even though the power light was on steady.. Had to unplug the AC and the battery to turn it off and reboot, but all in all running smooth..

One problem is that I turn my external off when I'm not using it, because it's my safety drive. I back everything up to it then turn it off so that it will last. There's debate about whether turning things off will make them last longer, with the constant spinning up of turning it on, etc., but that's the course I'm taking..

Now, about the NAS, I don't think that's the problem because I can't even see the desktop in My Network Places, and I've got it's C: drive shared.. I think the problem is either in the router settings or the ZoneAlarm settings..

P.S. That picture in your signature is gorgeous!

Well here is the thing..either other way your hard drive is going under normal wear and tear..by turning it off and all the time or leaving it on all the time......What NAS is basically a harddrive with network support. It ties into your router. and you can access virtually anywhere from in your house to when your at your buddie's house. ( keep in mind...i know you use the hard drive as a back up....but I HIGHLY recommended backing your picture on either a 2nd hard drive or burning them on a disk every once in a month deal.)
as far as you zone alarm....check with the firewall...it maybe blocking everything from seeing the computer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back