Need help with film cameras and 4/3's

Taleman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

Im in a bit of a situation. I have an Olympus E-510 with Several lenses and I love it, I really like the Olympus brand. However the problem is that as a student I have to start using 35mm film cameras for class and as far as I know there are no 35mm cameras that are part of the 4/3 system. So that means I would have to buy a different brand of film cameras witha different mount and also this would mean I have to reinvest in new lenses for the camera, that would get expensive and I don't have so much money to spend. What is the best course of actiopn to take in this situation?

check out KEH on line and find an old pentax K1000, with one prime lens .

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127992

I advise this camera here. Great thing with many film cameras is they are inexpencive, even more so when they use lenses not compatable with current bodies of the same manufacturer. Furthermore Bodies like this have depreciated to a point where one can usually buy them, shoot them for a year or so and resell them for close to if not more than they originally paid.

As I understand it, the 4/3 lens system is made for digital SLR cameras with sensors that are smaller than 35mm film. So even if those lenses did fit onto a 35mm film camera, the lenses coverage wouldn't be enough for a frame of 35mm film....you would end up with a circle in the middle with black edges.

I agree with the others. An older 35mm film SLR can be had for a very low price.

Thanks for the advise. I just have one question. Is it better to buy an older camera or a newer one because as far as price is concerned, the Pebtax k1000 is about $200 when I checked KEH but the Nikon FM10 is at about the same price at B&H. So is there an advantage to it in my particular situation?

Thanks for the advise. I just have one question. Is it better to buy an older camera or a newer one because as far as price is concerned, the Pebtax k1000 is about $200 when I checked KEH but the Nikon FM10 is at about the same price at B&H. So is there an advantage to it in my particular situation?

Older cameras have their advanteges in your situation, the reason they ask you to pick up a 35mm film camera is to take away the luxuries of modern photography so you learn how to do everything manually. The older a camera is the more simplistic it is, naturally. This will make it easier for you to figure out what does what manually.

That is not to say that modern 35mm cameras are not capable of this, one mearly has to turn off the auto functions. But those Auto functions that you will not be using cost money (and to my knowledge there is one or two that can't be turned off)

The Canon camera I pointed out in my previous post is prolly one of the most advantagous cameras for the situation at hand. Many a Photographer learned on a Canon AE-1, and one of the newer advantages it has is the lenses. Canon discontinued the use of the mound used on those bodies completely due to their choice of putting AF moters in lenses over the body like Nikon did. Having done that modern Canon shooters have little to no use for the FD mount lenses due to incompatibility. This is why you can find package deals lke a Canon AE-1 and several lenses at or better than the price of a similar era Nikon. The lenses are obsolete and dirt cheap, not due to quality but build compatibility.

And I would be more than willing to attest to the glass of an FD lens.

If you just want to spend a minimal amount of money for a camera who's usefullness beyond class is questionable go with the older Canons.

It's too bad you didn't start with Nikon you wouldnt have these issues with different mixed up systems I guess unless you bought DX lenses.

Also check craigslist, its not uncommon to find an slr and several lenses for less than $100.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back