Need help with flash on Manual Mode

60D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shoot Canon 5d and 60d with a 430 ex flash. I am having great difficulty getting proper exposure because I use manual mode on the camera and ettl on the flash. Can someone please shed some light on what I am doing wrong. I heard to use manual mode on the flash as well but you would have to adjust it for every picture..clueless!

Try putting your flash into manual mode as well. Put it on full power and then adjust your camera's settings to it.

I realize I didn't explain that very well... Think of it like this... When your flash is outputting the same power each shot you really shouldn't have to readjust anything that you wouldn't normally need to readjust anyway. You could simply adjust a single setting (iso, shutter, or aperture) to achieve optimal exposure each shot.

Try putting your flash on full power, ISO 400, 1/100 shutter, aperture f/5.6 and then take a photo. If it's overexposed you could simply increase your shutter speed, lower your ISO, or decrease your aperture. You wouldn't have to do all 3... just one.

or buy a flashmeter, personaly I use a sekonic multimaster L408 and never had a problem with it

I do believe all Canon cameras have FEC built-in. (Flash-Exposure-Compensation). Works nicely in M mode as well. If it's in your camera's menu... go for it and try it

Besides: the others are right in full power (or 3/4 or half... depending on the environment..).

Also: bounce the light! If your flash is at full power, but coming down from the ceiling or walls... it looks a lot better and is not likely to over-expose your image. :)

Most reactions

Back