Need help with ISO and film!

IKnowAdrian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Diana Mini and Diana F+ Flash (microsites.lomography.com/dianamini/highlights) just to bring to the bar and get some lomo shots of my friends and I (i don't want to bring my dslr to bar) I need help, since i've never really shot film, on which film speed to use, 400 or 800 (or even 1000)!?

The camera has:
a fixed aperture selection of either f/8 or f/11
a fixed shutter speed of 1/60s
i'm not sure on the flash power/ distance, but my subjects will be under 2m away (often closer).

i picked up some fuji 100/1000 multi speed film that can be pushed processed. But i'd like to pick up a roll of fixed ISO (ASA) speed at either 400 or 800. What do you guys suggest to make sure i don't get horribly underexposed, but not a washout white image?

Thanks for all your help!

On a bright sunny day, with 400 film you might get closer 800 is going to be over exposed.

If you can find something at 125, Ilford made a film at one time at this ISO it will be closer.

Rule of thumb for sunny 16 rule. Shutter speed at ISO number, fstop at f16, or f11 depending on how you like your negative

Everything is depended on the lighting conditions.

I had a student using Holga's and he had 4 or 5 each painted a different color so he could remember which had a specific film that would be developed at a specific time, all based on the lighting conditions at the time.

He said he's going to be using it at a bar. That would suggest to me pretty awful light.

I'd say go with the faster 800 film.

oops, missed that part.

I would go with 3200 film as in reality it is about 800 -1200

Most reactions

Back