Need help with mounted flash and Canon T3i

Oneeyephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello Forum,

I hope some one can help me with this issue. I am doing nightclub photos with flash now but I seem to keep having the same issue, every time I go and take a photo my flash does not go off, and when it does the photos are way to bright or way to dark.

Gear:
Canon T3i
Kit lens 18-55mm w/lens hood
YN560-II (flash)

Settings:
ISO:800
F:5.6
SS:1/80
Auto Focus
Flash set to: M 1/4 50mm focus

A couple of ideas come to mind.

For the flash not firing, it could be that the batteries are not fully-enough charged to give a reasonably quick (for me, less than 1 sec for the first 100-150 shots, 2 secs or less if more) charge-up of the flash. I switched to Eneloops rechargeables and that solved the problems.

Another possibility is there's a faulty connection between the camera hot shoe and flash. I keep my flash on a bracket for quick conversion to portrait format and the cord I have didn't always make a 'good' contact and would cause erratic flash/no flash occurrances. It was a matter of my not pushing it all the way 'forward' when making the contact with the hot shoe on the camera.

As far as being overexposed when it does flash, perhaps you need to reduce the flash exposure a bit more. It's possible you have the in camera exposure compensation too high as well.

Obviously, you need to solve the flash/no flash problem quickly:
1) Ensure that some in-camera settings aren't causing the problems. I don't know where the 'reset all' menu option is on a T3i, but it should be there somewhere.
2) If that doesn't solve the problem, I'd clean all the contacts with either 'contact cleaner' (special solvent from the electrical relay days, may still be available at Radio Shack), or, a new pencil eraser.
3) If still unsuccessful and you're using a flash cord, it's time to spend $20 or so and get a new one from somewhere other than ebay (too many fakes out there).
4) If still not reliable, perhaps the flash has a problem. If you can, borrow a flash, any flash, and see if it works reliably on your camera. If it does, then the problem lies within your flash unit. Return/fix/replace as appropriate.

If you are shooting using e-ttl, sometimes a bad connection will switch the flash into TTL mode and that will normally be full power. If you were not expecting full power, then the next shot (shortly thereafter) may be under-powered because the flash will trigger even if it is not fully recharged after the last shot. The solution, at least in my case, is to take the unit off, clean the contacts, and put the flash back on - that usually clears up the situation.

The yn560ii is a full manual flash so you will have to change those settings

Thank you so much everyone, I will be testing these solutions out and if it comes down to it I will pay the money for a 430 from canon. Does that flash seem like a smart choice.

The issue of it not firing could be just about anything. It could be as simple as cheap circuitry causing slow recycle times.
As far as it being too bright or too dark its probably because its a full manual flash, no Ettl is not good for club photography.
Manual works in controlled environments, but in a dark club with multiple types of lighting and various environmental factors
make it near impossible to get the exposures just right. I would highly recommend using a 430ex II. If your on a really tight
budget check out this Meike MK951 TTL ITTL LCD Flash Speedlite for DSRL Canon | Camera Accessories | Linkdelight.com
the Meike MK951m it has ETTL which works just fine. After I got my 430ex though, I only use the cheap flashes for strobist stuff.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back