Need help with new camera + lens!

azn_souja

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, I am new to photography and I thought I would start off with a T3i which I bought today. Although I only bought the body, I'm looking for a 18-55mm lens and I was told to go on ebay to look for one but I'm not sure if there are such things as fake lenses or anything. I saw these ones that were 2x cheaper than retail here: ★ Canon EF-S 18-55 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS SLR Lens 18 55 | eBay

Any help is appreciated thanks! :D

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
They want $112, average retail looks like $180-$200, it says new in "bulk packaging" from South Korea. Grey market maybe? I would do serious research on the seller and ask questions before buying.

Save yourself some cash and skip the 18-55. Not the greatest lens imo... I and many others love the 50mm 1.8 and you'll love the pricetag. New it will run you a little under $100. It's sharp and will teach you a lot m ore than the 18.55 will.

The 18-55is is an ok lens. I personally would recommend the tamron 28-75 f2.8 ... Your lens is your most important investment and you should never invest in "ok" glass when "great" glass can be had for cheap :)

Awesome, are those lenses from the ebay seller trusted though? Because their lenses are cheaper than retail by a lot :O
What I mean is are they legit lenses, like original?

I can also recommend the Canon 50mm f1.8! It is a very good lens, and it gives a very good depth in the pictures you take. It is one of my personal favorites :) and as @JasonLambert says, it isn't too expensive, so go get it ;-)

Save yourself some cash and skip the 18-55. Not the greatest lens imo... I and many others love the 50mm 1.8 and you'll love the pricetag. New it will run you a little under $100. It's sharp and will teach you a lot m ore than the 18.55 will.

Absolutely agree!
I would add if you do buy this lens be aware that at 1.8 aperture you have a very narrow focus plane, start with apertures in the f5-9 range for practice.

Could somebody please answer my question though? Are those lenses from the ebay seller trusted though? Because their lenses are cheaper than retail by a lot :O

Could somebody please answer my question though? Are those lenses from the ebay seller trusted though? Because their lenses are cheaper than retail by a lot :O

Some maybe used. Read the description. Sellers with ratings above 98% are pretty trustworthy. The 50mm 1.8 retails for $125-135 and can be found used on Craigslist for $50 or $90-100 on Ebay new.
I wouldn't buy from overseas what you can get here for the same price on ebay even though they have a good rating.

Those ebay lenses are most likely the real deal, but Canon will not warranty them. In my opinion it's worth it to buy from actual domestic Canon dealers because you always have recourse if something goes wrong. If your ebay lens breaks in 4 months then you'll have no where to go...

I agree, thats 8 dollars cheaper than ive found on overstock, but like jason said, just got the 50mm 1.8, your most likely better off

Most reactions

Back