Need Help With Old Film (Kodak Aero Safety Film)

jliller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just signed up here because I am not knowledgeable about film and need some advice. I have come across a pair of plastic film canisters about the size of soda cans. The labels read:

Aero Safety Film
Type 1A - Class L
Kodak Super-XX
Aerographic
Topographic Base
For Mapping
Exposure Index 100
5 1/4 in x 20 ft

From what I can determine from internet searching this is film from the 1950s used for taking aerial photos. I assume the film has been used, but no idea if it has been developed.

Both canisters smell like vinegar and ink, which presumably indicates they are chemically degrading. Because of the smell I have no opened them.

1. Is this type of film dangerous in any way?
2. Is there anywhere I can develop film this old, especially if it has started to degrade?

Thanks for your help.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Where did you come across this stuff? Yes, you have some old, old-style aerial film. That odor you described was fairly common since the film would degrade after a number of years, and that would not go away. I don't think it's dangerous, per se, but it's certainly not pleasant to breathe in. Use caution.

It sure would be fun to see what is on it. Developing it nowadays would be a challenge, given the format, which was pretty much done away with in favor of sizes like 9.5 x 200 ft. or even 500 ft. It was developed in an auto-processer. This smaller format might have been developed in an older style rack/reel system, hand processing. You could cut off a bit and find someone to do some tray development, just to see what's on there, if anything.

Sorry not to be more specific, but my knowledge is limited for film this old, and it's going to be a bit of a challenge regardless of who might be willing to give it a go. It's probably quite degraded and brittle at this point.

If the film hasn't been developed it will likely be ruined if you open the containers outside of a darkroom or changing bag.

Nice find.

These people used to develop this film and might be able to give you a contact...
Welcome to Aerial Photo Lab, Inc.
As you can see from their website they, like most other film based businesses, are out of the business.

Most reactions

Back