Need help with opening as Smart Object in CS3

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm reading a training manual right now, and one of the things recommended is to always open your photos as Smart Objects because it allows you to use Smart Filters and more..

Trouble is-when I do this, if I mouse over my image, all I get is the blocked symbol. It won't let me do anything to my image, even if I make a duplicate layer..

Does anyone have some insight for this problem?

Thanks.

I'm reading a training manual right now, and one of the things recommended is to always open your photos as Smart Objects because it allows you to use Smart Filters and more..

Trouble is-when I do this, if I mouse over my image, all I get is the blocked symbol. It won't let me do anything to my image, even if I make a duplicate layer..

Does anyone have some insight for this problem?

Thanks.

It isn't really a problem. You can't directly alter image pixels on a smart object. That means you can't paint directly on a smart object or make changes such as levels to the layer. You have to use adjustment layers or apply filters that are allowed on smart objects.

Best rule of thumb you could adopt: Don't alter image pixels if there's an alternative -- usually adjustment layers). If you're going to clone, for example, clone on a blank layer rather than on the image layer. (With smart objects, you don't have a choice. You have to clone on a blank layer. That's why they're "smart": They make you do the right thing. :thumbup:)

Last edited:
peano thanks for the tip, I have been useing cs3 for a while and I am getting pretty good at it making wallpapers, HRD, and painting with my pen tablet, but I havent really had a chance to play with smart filters other than an acasional dabble.
Peace
Wes

Most reactions

New Topics

Back