Need HELP with "?'s" regarding older Speedotron studio lighting

SuziPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently photographed a wedding and the father of the bride was once a photographer and had a bunch of older photography equipment that he offered to sell to me. Since I am trying to set up a studio in my home and need all that stuff, older is fine as long as it works!

OK, he pulled all the items out of storage and told me to take them home, set them up and check them out. Then make an offer. UGH! ........so I did.

Everything seems to work fine other than a piece or 2 that I'll need to add to be able to use them with my DSLR, but I have no idea what to offer! Below is a list of items I got from him. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, the last time I worked with these type of lights was in college and alot of that info has gone out of my head so if anyone can give me so info or pointers on how to use these lights effectively that'd be wonderful too!!

Speedotron
C300 (main box)
D400 (secondary box - includes a slave plug)
Tri-Level (power cutter for lower lights)
M10 (strobe lamp head ...3 of these plus one small light - not sure of model #, and another small head that needs a new strobe bulb)
3 stands (2 of which need a way to mount an umbrella)
TriStar Backdrop stand
1 round white lined umbrella
1 square gold umbrella
3 reflector fabrics

What I do know I will need for them is a Low Voltage Trigger to be able to attach my camera which I haven't priced online but a local shop quoted me 80.00

Thanks for any help!

Suzi

sorry i cannot help here.

But welcome to TPF anyway :)

Thanks! I'm glad I came across this site.

I hope someone has some insight for me, I feel like I need to tell him something by this weekend.

Couple things to bear in mind:

The power packs have a maximum power output. So you need to match the heads and number of heads to the packs. That is, if you have four 300 w/s heads and you try to hook them all up to a pack that doesn't supply 1200 w/s, then you won't be able to use them at full power. Simple enough. You have two power packs, so that should be easier.

The less power you draw from the pack, the shorter the flash duration. Four heads on a pack will each fire faster than one head on a pack. This may be a non-issue for you.

The heads are probably not fan-cooled. If they are, great. But I doubt it. In this case, DO NOT try to rapid fire them. Too many consecutive, quickly spaced pops and they will fry.

Helen I'm sure has some more specific advice. Hopefully she'll crop up.

Thanks for the info! I wish I knew how many w/s each has. I can't seem to locate any model info for them. I wish I knew what to offer for them as well. I guess something will work out. Usually does!

Thanks again,

Suzi

Fortunately Speedo color codes their equipment. What color are the power packs and heads?

They are beige (I assume they are called the "Brown Line") ?

To the best of my knowledge/recollection the D400 is the predecessor to the current D400, in the Brown Line, as you say. That's a 400 Ws power supply. The M10 has been replaced by the M11.

It might be a good idea to call Speedotron and ask if they can send you any information.

I have no idea what sort of price to offer.

I have used a few Wein Safe-Syncs. The ones that mount in a hot shoe have proved unreliable, but the one I have that plugs into the household sync receptacle on my power packs has worked OK so far. I generally prefer to use a Pocket Wizard rather than a cable, however.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back