Need help with something i saw on youtube. Exposing for the Sky.

To me, it looks almost like a HDR look, or he bumps the clarity a lot in his photos. Then again, maybe I've only seen a small portion of his photos. And I really wasn't a fan.
I've only seen what's In that video. I assumed heavy-handed post work.

According to his FAQ, about 5% of the photos he supplies to a bride are done in the Painting Look, which is called Jason's Signature Collection. The remaining 95% are professionally developed and look fantastic, ... Brides receive 100% standard processing and additionally, 5% Signature look.

he can't even lay off the clarity slider tone-mapped look on his wildlife gallery.

look at the overly done sharpness halo around the mouth of this bear: http://static.squarespace.com/stati...398299/Landscapes by Ja-0023.jpg?format=1000w

like are you kidding me here: http://static.squarespace.com/stati.../1384422308003/JAL_2577-Edit.jpg?format=1000w

that shot is awful. He spent so much time making his "properly exposed sky" look "good" that he couldn't take the time to at least remove the two distract people in the background? This shot seriously looks like he just tossed it in photomatix. The bride/groom are distorted and blurry for crying out loud.

I said that I liked him, because I liked what he was saying and his personality from the video, at the time stamp indicated to start watching from. He seems to know what he's talking about, and I like his style of abrasiveness. But honestly, his work does little for me.

I don't like that he claims that his photos look so good because he exposes properly, but then he entire online portfolio consists of ****ty tone-mapped images. The reason everyone says your skies look fake, is not because you exposed them properly, it's because you made them look fake, Jason.

Good thing it's just a fade and it will end, mark my words.

but back on topic:

OP do you have a flash other than on the camera?

You don't absolutely need one there are other things you can do. For example: go out to walmart and spend $5 on a white foam core board. Put the subject in shade, then reflect the sun back on the subject. Meter off the subject's face but not at the brightest point, and not the darkest. When you take the shot, the sky shouldn't be as bright.

If you think about it, it's pretty simple. If the subject is dark, and to expose for them properly, you need a slow shutter. But a slow shutter leads to the sky being overexposed. So when you put a whole lot of light on the subject, be it from the sun itself or a flash, then you can reduce the time needed to expose. When you do this, the sky will darken, but the subject will be now lit up and bright.

Last edited:
Well said, I thought I was the only one :)

like I said, I've never seen his work. and I was chuckling to myself when I first watched the video and saw a few of his shots pop on screen from the workshop and I was thinking to myself: well, I see why everyone claims you "photoshop" your work now. Viewing his online portfolio just confirmed it.

there's only a few shots in his entire wedding gallery that look natural.

wanna hear a joke?

Q: why do people think Jason Lanier photoshops* his photos?
A: http://static.squarespace.com/stati...384422337527/JD8_4993-Edit-2.jpg?format=1000w

*photoshopping can be a term used when describing highly manipulated images. It doesn't have to be edited in Photoshop.

would this guy be so highly regarded, sought after without his signature style? I cant answer that because the only work I see is his signature "from the depths of the HDR Hole" look.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, we all have a couple photos that we aren't proud of or we tried something different. But this is his 'signature style'.

This is as far as I got with tone mapping and HDR
2917824810_698d915556_z.jpg

1. Yes I have an external flash and do use it. My original question was due to not understanding what the guy said in the video. I thought he was getting the blue sky exposed along with the subjects WITHOUT using his flash. but going back I did see where he mentioned that he used a flash.

2. the added input about this has ALSO been a great help to me. I always accept tips and advice. Never stop learning.

3. The guys (Jason Lanier) stuff all looks plastic or cartoonish to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back