Need help with upgrade choice from xti.

notoriouslightning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So I haven't been on here in over a year, but I am in the need of some help. It has come time to upgrade my camera body. I was hoping on getting some sound advice for you all. So here is the deal.

I currently have a rebel xti with the following lens, canon 100 mm macro 2.8, canon 50mm 1.8, canon 75-300 4-5.6, and my standard goto lens is a tamron 17-50 2.8 (which i love). The tamron and the macro spend the most time on the camera. I like to do a lot of macro work(nature/ flowers bugs, as well as artsy stuff). I also use the camera for the family a lot and have a daughter on the way in 2 months so I am sure I will be taking tons of photos.

As of now I have $1000 and plan on selling the xti with whatever kit lens comes with the new camera I purchase.

I have been looking at the 50d and the t2i as well as the 7d which is a little out of my price range. Video inst a dig deal as we have a small video recorder(but it would still be nice). Also any news on a replacement for the 50d? Should I sit on the xti and cash for the summer?

Thanks for any advice and sorry for the lengthy read.
Peace, Nate

While the T2i would be an upgrade, it's still a Rebel. Which means no top LCD, no rear control dial, lower max/usable ISO, slower burst rate, cheaper build, slower AF, etc. If those things aren't that important, than I see no need to upgrade at all! I had an XTi for a little over 2 years before getting a 50D, and it took some great pictures. The biggest thing for me was that it shot double the burst speed (3fps vs 6.3fps) which helped with a lot of what I shot.

The 7D is by far the best APS-C camera Canon makes, but it might be total overkill for macro and family shots. There are rumors floating around about a 60D, but no announcement from Canon has been made and no actuall concrete information is out. Also, with Canon's current rebates going on right now, it's a great time to jump on a new camera (most end June 5th though). Current Promotions - Canon USA Consumer Products

Bottom line would be to look at your needs. If you are limited in any way by your current camera body, then a 50D would be a great upgrade and a 7D would be even better; depending on budget. But if your XTi is still running strong, then keep it up, save your cash, and keep making great shots.

Thanks for the reply, I have had the xti about 2-3 yrs. I have kind of ruled out the t2i because I really want the rear dial and larger/ sturdier body. My main concern with e 7d was that it would be a little overkill,but I would get past that and find lots of uses for it. I really like the 50d but would hate to get it when it could be updated in a few more months. Any more feedback would be great. Thanks

If you're looking for a long term investment and can afford it, then then 7D would be an easy choice. The 50D is already 2 years old, which is longer than any other xxD body has been in production. So odds are a replacement is due out soon (which was probably pushed back to let 7D sales take their course first). The 7D is better than the 50D in every concievable way, and in my opinion the best APS-C camera on the market today. Who knows though, maybe the 60D will come out and will be even better than that.

I know I was struggling with the idea of an upgrade and I settled on getting the 7D rather than waiting because it fit my shooting needs at a price I could afford with the features I wanted. There will always be something new and better just around the corner, so it's best to buy what fits best for you and then not worry about it.

cfusion, do you think the glass I have would be adequate on the 7d for the next few years? I am strongly leaning toward the 7d but will have to come up with a little more cash and deal with the steep learning curve over the rebel.

The 7D will likely accentuate the flaws in all of your lenses save the 100mm macro and perhaps the 50mm (I've no experience with the Tamron, though).

The 7D is an awesome camera, but the sensor is crammed full. This leads to highlighting errors with less-than-high-end glass. The 7D really, really wants L-quality glass.

Edited to add: the T2i will likely show the same faults due to density. Oh yeah, and it's the same processor :)

Last edited:
I am leaning more towards the 50d as the video and faster fps are not really needed. Besides The 7d really isn't in my budget. The t2i looks great, but I really want a larger body camera and the controls that come with one.

Any other opinions?

With all of the back and forth, I think I am going to go with the 50d and throw in the sigma 10-20. Then Sell the xti with the 28-135 that comes with the 50d. Hopefully amazon with drop the price back down to $1109 like it was a few weeks ago for the 50d with lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back