Need help with vivitar 70-150 lens.

Patriot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a lens that's a little messed up right now.

The aperture dial turns past 3.8 and it stops at F11 instead of going to F22 as should. I can't figure it out because I opened it and looked inside to see if it was reassemble wrong. Everything inside works as should and stops at the right position. I'm starting to think that someone at the factory assembled it wrong from the start. Unless I'm missing something.

$JAH_7365_01.JPG
Stops at F11

$JAH_7366_01.JPG
Goes past the max aperture 3.8

$JAH_7381_01.JPG
lever thing stops there as should

$JAH_7382_01.JPG
Same as above

I'm all ears if anyone have a clue as to what's going on.

-Hunt

I've never opened one of these up - and hard to guess without having it in front of me.

Often, there is a mechanism for aligning the coupling, I would look for some screws and the linkage to have slots on it.

When you turn it the other way does it stop at 3.8 or go beyond it?

I have a 70 to 150 Close Focus Vivitar for a Canon AE1. It goes from 3.8 to 22 then on to the green circle for Auto. I haven't used it much since the 70's.

When y ou set it as far open as possible is it past the 3.8? If so does the opening get smaller as you go to the larger numbers as soon as you start moving the lever? If this is the case you may be able to use it by just puttingsome tape with different marks on it over the factory marks. On a second look it may not be the indicator for the f stop but maybe has a lever, actuator , of some sort that sits in the groove there.

When you turn it the other way does it stop at 3.8 or go beyond it?

It goes beyond 3.8

OK, then it's just that the position of the numbers is offset by 2 stops. When it reads f/11 it's really at f/22 and so on. If the part that has the numbers on it can be removed and repositioned correctly then that should solve it. Otherwise, as a "hack" type fix, you can apply a strip of tape over the numbers with the real numbers written on it in their correct positions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back