Need Knowledge

supporther

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife is a stay at home mom who loves to take pictures. She will be needing to go back to work in two years to help with income. She would love to do photography and I want to support her, but I do not see how she can make an income. I do not see ad's in papers or anywhere else wanting to employee a photographer. Can anyone please help me with this? She could start her own business but would still need to work somewhere to gain experince. She would go to school for training before starting. I do not want to waste time and money for school for something that can only be a hobby. Also, would a Nikon D60 be o.k. for a school camera if we pursue this?
Bobby.

You can start your own studio, that would be your best bet for finding a decent paying photography job. (even if she gets employed at a studio, the pay wont be all that great, owning the studio makes you MUCH more money)

Some decent studio strobes (ive heard good things about alienbees), light stands, softboxes/umbrellas, and some reading up online will be enough for starting a business. Maybe buy some books, ect ect....
When and if you get the studio, a D60 will be more than enough of a camera, I would recomend something with a built in AF Moter, like the D80, or D90, but the D40 or D60 will work for you.
I think a new lens will be good for a studio, something with a canstant aperture, because the aperture determines the flash exposure....a reletively wide angle lens will do. Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is a decent lens, sharp enough when stopped down.

At the Wal Mart photo studio (which bugs me a lot, I went their once with my parents to get my neice's 2 year old portraits, and I was making suggestions for the composition, lighitng and backround color because thier ideas failed :D) uses a D40 and the kit lens.

Thank you for your reply! How much education/training would one need to start a studio. I would like her to make about 30K a year, is that possible in this profession?

You can make a comfortable living in photography-- take note of the fact that there are plenty of professional photographers working today in a wide variety of photographic fields. However, to do so requires a substantial investment in both time and money-- you can't just walk into it. There is a huge difference between enjoying photography and doing it full time.

so whats a suitable first income that one should expect?
clear.gif

It's going to vary tremendously depending on the particular variety of photography, the market, the skill level going in etc. But if you are coming into photography without having ever done it seriously, the chances you are going to make more in a year than you spent on the camera are... low.

There is stock photography, where you upload photos (of different specific or random subjects depending on the demand), to sites where people go to buy specific images that they get to choose from for uses in websites, ads and others. I dont know what kind of money there is to be made in that but that is always an option.

Working for a photography store, as salesperson/consultant and perhaps work your way to doing some photos for the store and gan experience. There are a lot more its a matter of searching.

Studying is very important in my opinion, whether you will make a living at it or not, its not a waste of money if she loves it...if she wants to get better she has to work at it and get all the help she can get to gather all the pieces that she needs. It's like other jobs, the education looks good and is very important on the resume, it adds to your portfolio.

As mentioned before it takes alot of investment both time and money, and you have to be good at it. It wont happen over night.

What level of photographer is your wife?

Look in your immediate area for existing photographer's. If they have a web site, even better. Look for the genre that your wife is interested in (models, kids and babies, sports, weddings, landscape, real estate, stock, catalog, criminal, etc.). Look at potential competition. You need to either have the ability to create similar or stand out as a unique talent to feed from the market.
Not to deter you, but if your wife is a novice and her experience with photography is not much beyond, let's say, capturing the subject in the viewfinder with the setting on the green square, then your optimism of earning up to $30K per year is quite a ways off.
Forums, books, courses, money, equipment, can only get you so far. You need to put miles on the pavement with photography and shoot, shoot, shoot. You need to understand what your doing.
Bottom line is, it's a long road for most of us. I'm in my 10th active year of a 22 year interest in photography and I am still no where near equaling my overall investment to this point. The gap is closing quicker now that I have experience and a name in my area, but it has been alot of Raman noodles to get here.

Profitable photography is education, ambition, money, timing, and luck.

An idea that she can use to get clients is post a listing on craigslist for free photoshoots. This will help her get more comfortable with shooting people (if thats what she wants to do) and it will also help her build a portfolio.

My wife is a stay at home mom who loves to take pictures. She will be needing to go back to work in two years to help with income. She would love to do photography and I want to support her, but I do not see how she can make an income. I do not see ad's in papers or anywhere else wanting to employee a photographer. Can anyone please help me with this? She could start her own business but would still need to work somewhere to gain experince. She would go to school for training before starting. I do not want to waste time and money for school for something that can only be a hobby. Also, would a Nikon D60 be o.k. for a school camera if we pursue this?
Bobby.

I am not a pro, and have no desire to be one, but I will offer some advise, look for opportunities to shoot community events, school, charity, etc and offer them your work free, you wont be stepping on the pro,s toes;)
I have had a few shots published this way. I donate wildlife images to an educational site, which are published with credit given.
Phone around and see if any of your local wedding photographers are looking for an assistant (not to be confused with a 2nd shooter).
Be prepared to invest in 2 bodies and flashguns and some decent glass!
Check with the school regarding a camera, they may require you use film.
Good luck, and dont forget pratice lots.

Thank you for your reply! How much education/training would one need to start a studio. I would like her to make about 30K a year, is that possible in this profession?

I saw for shooting in studio the only education you REALLY need is: Aperture=less flash in picture...shutter speed=more or less ambient light.
also an eye for composition is nice.
I dont really think you NEED any formal education, just read up on studio photography and portraits and whatnot on the internet. Google is your friend.

Once she gets going, 30K a year should be no problem.
Advertise anywhere you can think of....bulletin boards at local conveinence stores....church and school newletters etc etc.
An online gallery of some shots wouldnt hurt either.

Most reactions

Back