Need L bracket recommendations for Canon 6D

kalgra

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just like the title says. I want an L bracket for landscape purposes. I wont be using a power grip with the body so don't need one that accommodates for that. I have been looking at the ProMediaGear Universal 3" as well as the one they have dedicated for the 6D which is a bit more pricey than the universal.

However, I don't know if this is a good brand or not. There is not too me reviews on B&H for any of them really. I would love some recommendations based on ones you may be using either with the 6D or and of the 5D bodies.

Personally, I use Kirk L brackets on my cameras.

L brackets will cause a lot of vibration in a photo taken with a longer lens like a 135mm without a collar. If you take 2 pictures with the same settings you can see a remarkable difference between an L bracket and a ball head on its side.
For that reason and the sideways slots I don't use the brackets at all.
Putting a front to back mount on the camera also makes switching from a long Tele lens to a shorter non collared lens so easy and quick it's almost like magic.

L brackets will cause a lot of vibration in a photo taken with a longer lens like a 135mm without a collar. If you take 2 pictures with the same settings you can see a remarkable difference between an L bracket and a ball head on its side.
Putting a front to back mount on the camera also makes switching from a long Tele lens to a shorter non collared lens so easy and quick it's almost like magic.

I've never experienced that. Using proper, body specific L brackets on my cameras I've never experienced any issues with vibrations, including shooting macro, where it would undoubtedly be very evident.

Thanks for your input. I always use mirror lockup and mostly shoot with ultra wides so im not too worried about vibration. That said where would the vibration come from if not the mirror?

I've never experienced that. Using proper, body specific L brackets on my cameras I've never experienced any issues with vibrations, including shooting macro, where it would undoubtedly be very evident.
It's more noticeable on longer lenses that have no collar mount. Do a quick test to and compare the sharpness of some vertical pictures shot with a 135mm lens at 1/15 second using the L bracket's side plate to ones shot with the bottom plate flopping your ball head to the side. The difference will be very plainly noticeable. For a short lens like a macro you might get away with L brackets and the added slop but the best way is to have a camera with a side mount hole on the body. If you don't have that, then the second best and most stable is the ball head on it's side. As I mentioned that is just one of the reasons I don't like to use an L bracket. The sideways facing grooves are another and just as big a hurdle for me.
A lot of people swear by L brackets, I swear at them. I have tried and thrown away a lot of them in the pursuit of a suitable compromise and found none to come up to par for my shooting style and tastes in enlarging prints to extremes. :)

The 100L is not a short lens. The 24-70L isn't small lens, and the 85L isn't really a small lens either. I've shot with all three of them on their sides, with no issues. Once I get up to the 70-200 2.8L, or the 300 2.8L, then I just switch to the lens foot plates.

For you I am sure that's perfect, for me it is unacceptable. To each his (or her) own. :)

I use RRS feet and brackets. RRS - L-plate for Canon 6D They are not cheap but the are well made. Unlike what some have suggested I have never had an issue with any RRS bracket what so ever. Solid as a rock with any lens that is small enough not to have a mounting ring of its's own. A solid L bracket on a good head and set of legs and you will have no issues.

I use RRS feet and brackets. RRS - L-plate for Canon 6D They are not cheap but the are well made. Unlike what some have suggested I have never had an issue with any RRS bracket what so ever. Solid as a rock with any lens that is small enough not to have a mounting ring of its's own. A solid L bracket on a good head and set of legs and you may have no issues.
IFTFY

I tried the Really Rong Sh*t components and the sideways grooves are really rong. :) At least for someone that likes quick lens changes with a mount that helps and doesn't hinder your production.
I urge you to try the test I described and judge for yourself. I did and it comes up lacking in stability and convenience.

I use RRS feet and brackets. RRS - L-plate for Canon 6D They are not cheap but the are well made. Unlike what some have suggested I have never had an issue with any RRS bracket what so ever. Solid as a rock with any lens that is small enough not to have a mounting ring of its's own. A solid L bracket on a good head and set of legs and you may have no issues.
IFTFY

I tried the Really Rong Sh*t components and the sideways grooves are really rong. :) At least for someone that likes quick lens changes with a mount that helps and doesn't hinder your production.
I urge you to try the test I described and judge for yourself. I did and it comes up lacking in stability and convenience.
Don't blame your user issues on the equipment. Been using them for years with 0 issues. They are rock solid and stable.

For what it's worth, my Kirk L bracket on the 5Diii with battery grip attaches at both the bottom of the camera AND to the hand strap mounting bracket, so I've never noticed any camera shake issues in portrait format.

IFTFY

Don't blame your user issues on the equipment. Been using them for years with 0 issues. They are rock solid and stable.
lol my user issues are the material in the bracket is aluminum and it flexes. The other issue is a design issue with the grooves facing the wrong direction for transitions to a collared lens from the camera body.
Simple. I did not design or cause these issues as you may believe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back