Need lens for D7000...please advise...I am a newbie!

disneyfamilyfive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there, I am getting a D7000 and need a lens or two to go with it. I am not looking to spend tons of money on the lens right now (I know you get what you pay for) but with the fact that I am just getting a DSLR for the first time, I don't know what range I am going to be using most...once I know my "shooting style" I will want to upgrade...so let me tell you a little about me and my photo needs so you are able to best help me... I am not taking pictures as a business...just as a mom who wants great pictures of her 4 active children. I have gone through several point and shoots (latest panasonic ZS5) trying to get the speed and image quality that I want and haven't been happy...
This camera and lens (es) will basically be my everyday camera to take pictures of the kids indoors and out. I tend to like closer up shots and often do cropping after. I will be shooting action pictures outdoors (soccer pictures of the kids) a few times a year.
I have considered the Nikon 18-200 VRII but heard that the IQ is not so great with the 7000 (less forgiving then say the D40 or 50)
I have considered doing the 35mm prime (1.8) and the 55-200mm Nikon
I am also considering the 18-105mm Nikon and a prime
As you can see...I am so overwhelmed with the choices and picking the right one for me...top that with having no prior experience with a DSLR I would love to hear your thoughts and advise for me!
Thank you in advance for your help...It's greatly appreciated!!

The 35mm is a great lens. You wouldn't be disappointed with it.

I really think you'll enjoy the 18-105 kit lens that comes standard with the D7000.

The 35mm is a great lens. You wouldn't be disappointed with it.

Soccer photos of the kids with a 35mm lens? Better be standing on the field somewhere.

Personally I'd recommend the 18-105 and 70-300. Both are good lenses and if you decide you don't like one of them they are pretty easy to sell. That would give you a thorough range of focal length as well. Both of them are relatively slow lenses and won't be great for low-light so you may want to look at a Speedlight as well for indoor shots.

I always recommend starting with the kit lens... The 18-105 is a good starting point. Then I have to cut and paste my standard answer as far as 35mm vs 50mm primes to this question...

"Well everyone has their own opinion. I think mine makes the most sense for anyone starting out (especially on a limited budget) Start with a kit lens, learn how to use your camera... Then spend one day only shooting at 35mm, spend the next day only shooting at 50mm. You might like one length better than the other, you might hate both and find you only shoot at 18mm, or you never have enough reach so you might want a tele? Who knows, everyone is different, that is why there are so many lens options. Just my humble opinion...."

Same wavelength as coastalconn. The 18-105vr is an outstanding kit lens and will fill most needs and allow you to learn,define your preferred style and shooting needs in the future. Adding a prime a little latter as was pushed to the 50mm f1.8D and found for me a tad tight indoors and for street. And the 35mm f1.8G gave me more breathing room. But many like doing portraits so the 50mm is a better fit for them.

You can see where I said fit for them. That means knowing what you need thru using a basic kit zoom will help in determining if you like wider or longer. In my case found the 55-200vr to be a good alternative walkabout lens. Light,small & compact zoom for that isolating subject at longer distance my preferred style of shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back