Need lens recs - Beginner

My2Loves04and06

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone recommend a few lenses for a beginner? I have a Canon Rebel XTi and I've been using the standard lens that came with my Canon Rebel K2 (EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 II). Thanks!

I would most certainly suggest the 50mm f/1.8. Its darn cheap and will give you some amazing shots.

Thanks. I've heard good things about the 50mm 1.8, except for the fact that the plastic seems to wear very easily.

What would you recommend for a zoom lens? My daughter has her first ballet recital at the end of June and I don't want to miss any good shots because of our seats.

What sort of budget are you working with? How far are you going to be away from the subject? Since you are starting out, i will not reccommend anything too high-end because it may be more than you need. A very good tele-zoom in the $550 USD range would be the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS. Great amount of range, good image quality and has Image Stabilization for sharper pics at low shutterspeed. A bit of a small aperature for dim lighting, but anything larger will cost you twice as much.
I take it the recital is indoors and lighting will be a major concern to try and get a good shutterspeed. To get anything over 1/250 without a flash will be a feat. So tinker with your ISO setting till you get a usable shutterspeed. Probably about 800-1200. The rule of thumb is that the shutterspeed should be 1/ (the focal length). The faster the better as long as the exposure is correct. With the IS you can get good results at much slower speeds, like 1/30, but it will not stop "action" shots. Only a fast shutterspeed can do that. Hope that helps.

I have a daughter in Gymnastics and Dance I use the following two lenses for Gymnastics 50mm f1.8 and the 100mm f2. But for the dance I chose my 70-200 mm f2.8 IS. After Shooting the dancers I found I was around 100mm so the 100mm would have worked with a little cropping.

Rus

Most reactions

New Topics

Back