need lense advice

I do not, unfortunately, but have you tried googling it? I am sure there are reviews and opinions out there. ;)

Most of those extremely wide zooms are a little soft on the far end, and almost all of them are f5 or higher on the far end(I know the sigma 18-200 is f6.3). Stick with a little narrower zoom range and avoid to much of the "do it all" lenses IMO.

I would MUCH prefer the 70-200 f4L new or a 70200 f2.8L used(or the sigma version in f2.8 new).

Switch has said this already but definately go for the 70-200 F4L if you can afford it. will not be disapointed and its worth that extra 100mm.

yeah i know the canon L lenses are the way to go but i wont be using it that much and wont have the demand for those near perfect pictures they give. I'm on a pretty tight budget, wanna keep it around 500 or under, and far zoom is a pretty large factor. the 12x on my S5 is decent but sometimes i wish i had farther. i mainly shoot my car, but need the zoom for soccer and marching band, where a far zoom is needed, and from what i can see, it is pretty sharp at full 270.

i hate making decisions

If you are shooting sports, then the L is really the only way to go. You can crop a sharp shot down to be equivalent to what you could have gotten from the 270 and have better quality.

i know but the only thing is that i think sometimes the 200 won't be enough

i know but the only thing is that i think sometimes the 200 won't be enough

Perhaps. But you could crop an image that was shot at 200mm so that it gave you the same frame as a 270mm shot, and the L lens would provide a better quality image, even cropped. The 18-270 is an f/6.3 on the long end, which will give you 1 1/3 less stops of light, or double + 1/3, meaning the possible difference between a shot that is sharp and one that is blurred due to motion, etc.

how much do those teleconverters go for? like the 1.5x, 2x add ons? like 250ish?

Re amazon
Canon 1.4 teleconverter is around $265
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-1-4X-Extender-Telephoto-Accessory/dp/B00009R6WL/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225319118&sr=1-4[/ame]

whilst there is also a 3rdparty sigma teleconveter which will fit which will deliver almost the same optial quality as the canon - the downside is that its not weathersealed, but neither is your camera body - so its only a consideration if you are building towards a fullly weathersealed unit.
the sigma is around: $182
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Teleconverter-Canon-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000CD8BGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225319131&sr=1-1[/ame]

anyone have imput on the tamron 18-270

i have the 18-270 and it's great :) yet to see any CA or significant distortion.

here are 2 shots at 270mm of a kookaburra in my backyard (first one is slightly cropped) :

kookaburra.jpg

kookaburra2.jpg

Most reactions

Back