Need Lighting equipment

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone,

Im interested in purchasing lighting to use for portraits, some video, and mainly product shots. My friend has a clothing brand and ill be taking photos of his products as his business expands.

Ive decided to go with this lamp
Steve Kaeser Photographic and Video Lighting

It is self cooled with a fan and has a variable wattage control (50w-1000w) which could come in handy for creative lighting. Is this a decent light, do you know of something similar that you could recommend. Also, is the price for this item decent? The company i work for orders stuff all the time from this company and i personally have dealt with their customer service and they are very helpful.

As always all help is appreciated :)

For the versatility that video requires I would recommend a light with an attachment for a set of barn doors, and separate diffusers and scrims (on frames) that you can set up on stands in front of the light(s)... this setup is infinitely better than a light with a soft-box attached.

I'm generally not a fan of continuous light for portraiture because of the heat that radiates onto the model when the lamp is at full power... makes for oily skin that is a pain to deal with in post, and it generally makes the subject squint all the time, which is not flattering....

What's your budget?....

My budget is limited, so I went with cowboy light kit. To my surprise, the color tone look better that more expensive light kit. I use white and green backgrounds. When goes to green, extractions are flawless. Being on small budget, I use Recomposit for green screen. I use Photoshop Elements 9 for some "fancy" editing. I pay $129 for light kit and $89 for 3 backdrops (green, white and black) and stand. While that backdrops are easy to wrinkle, the stand is solid and will hold paper roll. Like I said, I have limited budget.

Most reactions

Back