Need more zooooom:)

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06080901nikonafs70-300vrlens.asp

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449087-USA/Nikon_2162_18_135mm_f_3_5_5_6_ED_IF_AF_S.html

You know when you are shooting on the street and want to get a shot and just cant get close enough or don't want to make it odvious that you are taking his or her picture. Or when you are at a portrait shoot and need to get in closer but don't want to stick your camera in the persons face:) What have you (those who have used a few zooming lenses) found to be the most used or practical? I don't whant to spend $350 on the 18-135mm and find I still wish I had more zoom abillity? Thanks for your 2 cents:) I have the D40 (Duhhh) So need the AF-S.

what about using extension tubes? i've done some work recently using a 50mm prime and a kenko 2x teleconverter..
beth

What lens do you currently have?. If you have the kit lens I really don't think the 18-135 is going to be enough jump to make it worth it. Personally I would go with the 70-300.

what about using extension tubes? i've done some work recently using a 50mm prime and a kenko 2x teleconverter..
beth

teleconverters, actually

extension tubes are used to get macro capabilities with a "normal" lens

Ya, I have the kit lens 18-55mm. I was trying the 70-300mm lens out and really loved the zooming but did find it a bit slow. For indoor shots you would reall need a flash. What is the general portait taken at as far as zooming goes or is there not a spacific lenth?

For indoor portraits 50mm f1.x are being used to great success. On a Nikon D you won't want to go more than about 70mm indoors- maybe 85-90mm.

300mm is for the birds! No really, it's for shooting things you can't really get anywhere near- birds, ravenous beasts, angry wives- you catch my drift.

If you get the -300mm do yourself a favor and get the VR.

mike

Yes deffinently the VR:)

Umm no not really, you need a circular polarizer so that you can both move around the horizon and adjust the strength of the polarization.

Oh btw, that 80-200mm f2.8 Nikon AFD went for $305, I hope somebody on here got it. mike

For Auto-focus you need a circular polariser a linear will not work.

For the money, I think the best "buy" on the Nikon scene right now is the new 55-200 VR (not the older 55-200 non-vr).

It doesn't have the exact same VR as the 70-300... that is a "Gen. 2" VR lens as opposed to the older technology used in the 55-200... the difference? 4 stops on the 70-300 vs. 3 stops on the 55-200... but still, you are talking about a lens that RETAILS for $250 bucks... a lot of bang for the buck.

Thanks for the info on the lense I will look at it again! Also that you for the knowledge about the filter!

Most reactions

Back