Need New Point 'n Shoot

recordalley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need a new point 'n shoot. I have a Nikon D90 that I love, but I want something smaller for hiking. I really want a good quality camera for around 500 bucks. Do any have filters? Zoom is nice but not a lot, rather have a wider angle camera...maybe 20-200.

Canon g15... great little camera, and does pretty decent macro too...

Canon g15... great little camera, and does pretty decent macro too...

Great mind thinks alike!!! :mrgreen:

Absolutely the Canon G15 or if you want its new model then the G16.

I got the G15 and its an awesome little camera, very powerful tool for the price designed for the photography fan that want to walk around light.
The G16 has most of the G15 hardware but was tweaked to be faster for sports so unless you need a faster FPS for sport photography then the G15 will give you same picture quality, It has same sensor, same lens (which is very fast 1.8-2.8).

Hi recordalley - the G15 is a great P&S camera, but since you're coming from Nikon, you may want the option of using your existing lenses with the new camera.

For $501.62 you can buy a $292.67 Nikon 1 J2 camera with a 10-30mm lens and built-in flash plus a $208.95 Nikon FT-1 adapter that will let you use your existing lenses on the J2.

The J2 body is smaller and lighter than the G15 and its time to first shot is faster. This camera has almost zero shutter lag (0.094 seconds, compared to 0.2 seconds for the G15), it shoots stills at 60fps and its autofocus is blazingly fast.

Here are some examples of what this camera can do: Flickr: The Nikon 1 J2 Pool

The downside is its 10.1MP of resolution.

If you don't need compatibility with your existing lenses right away, you may want to take a look at the J2's replacement - the new Nikon 1 J3 ($546.95 at Amazon). It has even less shutter lag, and with its 14.2MP of resolution and 1" sensor size (larger than the G15's), its image quality may come close to your D90's.

Here are some J3 sample images: Nikon 1 J3 sample images - a set on Flickr

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi recordalley - the G15 is a great P&S camera, but since you're coming from Nikon, you may want the option of using your existing lenses with the new camera.

For $501.62 you can buy a $292.67 Nikon 1 J2 camera with a 10-30mm lens and built-in flash plus a $208.95 Nikon FT-1 adapter that will let you use your existing lenses on the J2.

The J2 body is smaller and lighter than the G15 and its time to first shot is faster. This camera has almost zero shutter lag (0.094 seconds, compared to 0.2 seconds for the G15), it shoots stills at 60fps and its autofocus is blazingly fast.

Here are some examples of what this camera can do: Flickr: The Nikon 1 J2 Pool

The downside is its 10.1MP of resolution.

If you don't need compatibility with your existing lenses right away, you may want to take a look at the J2's replacement - the new Nikon 1 J3 ($546.95 at Amazon). It has even less shutter lag, and with its 14.2MP of resolution and 1" sensor size (larger than the G15's), its image quality may come close to your D90's.

Here are some J3 sample images: Nikon 1 J3 sample images - a set on Flickr

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Being more a Nikon guy I seriously considered the Nikon 1 but at the end considering what I want from my second body made me go with the Canon G15.
I wanted a good camera that can do everything good enough without Schlepping extra lenses, my thought was if I can Schlep my Nikon lenses I might as well Schlep my D7100.
I like the simplicity of P&S for times I go to parties with family and friends, when I go to a local park with my kids or just when I am too lazy to Schlep big camera/lenses with me.

So I think the Nikon 1 potentially could be a good camera for you but you need to decide what eventually is good for you.

For me carrying a P&S with all the functions of a DSLR but in one small package was a winning combination, I am not afraid to use my G15 with ISO as high as 3200 but the VERY fast lens really saves me the need to go to high ISO most of the time.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You might even look as the Sony RX100 (possibly used)... 20MP... only 3.6 zoom (29mm - 105mm), but you can zoom by cropping with that many MP to play with (I hate SONY with a passion, but this camera is worth looking at). Oversized sensor for a compact also... even does low light well.

If you want to stay with Nikon.. look at the P7700 28-200 focal length, oversize sensor. More limited ISO choices than the Sony, but still a nice camera.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm comparing all the cameras, glad I asked, narrows the field. Keep 'em comin'.

Most reactions

Back