Need opinions. Scuffed lens.

RowdyRay

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of mine has been looking for a long lens. Like others, he's on a tight budget. Told him to watch pawnshops. Called me today with this find. I asked a lot of questions and he sent pics. Physically it looks good on the outside. Most of what you see is fingerprints and sticker residue. No major scuffs or marks to indicate a big fall. The focus ring is smooth and no play or wobble in the barrel. Nothing rattles around inside when shaken. But, it has a scuff/scratch on the lens. Yes, the lens hood looks filthy but 90% of what you see on the lens wiped right off. Very little dust inside the lens. Said he could hook his nail on it. Couldn't tell if it was into the glass, but at least the protective coating.

The shop said they tested it and doesn't affect the photo. The camera that came in with it has been sold. And he didn't have his with him. No way to test it. It's been there since last April and made my buddy suspiscious. I would be too. Said they'd give him only 24 hrs to test it. He has to work tommorow. So they put it in the back for him. Going to test it on his lunch break or after work with his camera.

I know what I told him. But, what are your thought? Would you buy it, or pass? Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Attachments

• 665865198.jpg
    665865198.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 665865463(1).jpg
    665865463(1).jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
You can get that same lens from MPB for the same cost, no scuffs on the lens and a return warranty.

That scuff will affect quality IMHO.
Betting you didn't bother to click on the pic. If you can find anything comparable on MPB, let me know. I certainly did not.

Pass. Suspect you--or your "buddy"--could do better. Have occasionally hit pawnshops for 20+ years and never bought any camera gear. Why? Most of it was either stolen, abused, dirty, or semi-functional and none of it worth the asking price. Almost axiomatically, you get what you pay for--seriously. I've always read obvious physical damage as a huge, flapping red flag. YMMV, as always.

I did view the pic and the do have one, listed as SA fit for $550, don’t know what camera you buddy has.

They have a Cannon fit listed at $730

Pass. Suspect you--or your "buddy"--could do better. Have occasionally hit pawnshops for 20+ years and never bought any camera gear. Why? Most of it was either stolen, abused, dirty, or semi-functional and none of it worth the asking price. Almost axiomatically, you get what you pay for--seriously. I've always read obvious physical damage as a huge, flapping red flag. YMMV, as always.
I'm aware of your opinion on pawnshops. Just trying to help a friend out. Not sure how he could do better.
I did view the pic and the do have one, listed as SA fit for $550, don’t know what camera you buddy has.

They have a Cannon fit listed at $730
He has a Canon T6i. That's the cheapest I've seen used but If you have to pay that, you might as well buy new and get the warranty. The used market is bonkers.

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it. Understand some of you would pass. But, I looked up the Sigma authorized repair center. It's in NY. Gave the number to my friend. He spoke to a very helpful repair person. The repair wouldn't be cheap. The front lens group is 250.00. About 100.00 for labor and shipping both ways. But, said it might not be necessary. Where was the scratch? Emailed a number of pics. He agreed it didn't look like it was into the glass. Just the coating. Probably wouldn't be an issue unless shooting without the hood. Gave him a few things to test and look for when he went back today. Very helpful.

Went back with his T6i and passed everything he suggested. PA wouldn't budge on the price but, ate the tax. 460.00. Took it home and cleaned it up. Looks way better. Sent me numerous pics of his dog running around in the back yard. Look great to me.

Well, he's unlikley to get one cheaper, those lenses seem to be going for $600-$700 used so it's probably a fair enough price if the scratch doesn't affect IQ. I'm sure he'll love having to 600mm end, I did when I got my 150-600.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back