Need Opinions, Should I Get This?

jadawgis732

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need opinions ASAP, I'm planning on meeting someone tomorrow to buy their Sony DSLR A200K with lens, memory card, bag and accessories tomorrow for $250. Will this serve me well as a first time DSLR owner, or should I reconsider?

HA! At $250.00 it is near impossible to get a DSLR. Yes it can serve you very nicely as a first time DSLR user. I swear by Nikon and would be a hard sell to get anything else. But for someone in your shoes as a first time user at that price you can consider it a throw away learning tool. Better than the cost of tuition at a local tech school photo class. If you learn that you like this and that and start targeting a certain brand for some reason then just give it away and consider it money well spent. Assuming it works and nothing is wrong with it.

Look here
Sony a (alpha) DSLR-A200K Digital SLR Camera with Sony DT 18-70mm lens

@Geaux I did Google it - that price reflects Amazon's stock on them- essentially nil- because they're an older model. On the review page link you posted it is only $379. Problem I anticipate is that there's no live viewfinder. But for the price I think I can live with it.

@Geaux I did Google it - that price reflects Amazon's stock on them- essentially nil- because they're an older model. On the review page link you posted it is only $379. Problem I anticipate is that there's no live viewfinder. But for the price I think I can live with it.
my nikon d3000 doesnt have a live view finder and thats the only thing that i can compare to when i was shooting with my SLR back in high school, take away that from my DSLR and i have a point and shoot, live view to me is just spoiling

I use the a350. I like mine. There are a couple of things to consider. One of the biggest weakness of the alpha line is the postion of the optical view finder. It is place too far forward on the body. As a result you has to smash you face in there pretty hard to use it. I have a big nose and can make it work but it is a bit of a hinderance. The view is also much less clear than other dlsrs I have tried. Down the road you will find yourself more limited. While lense are available for the a mount, the manufactures build for canon and nikon first. This is really noticable in the used market. There far more accesories for nikon or canon mount than sony/minolta. The price is reflected in the used market.

The a200 will probally make a good starter but you are more likely to out grow it and find your wanting a nikon or canon.

Though you might be like me and the intial price is the main hurdle to get you started. in which case the sony option gets you started cheaper.

Before you buy take a look on ebay for a300, a350, and higher models you might find what your need for only a little more money.

I got the camera for $250 and it's in good working condition. She knew a lot about cameras and took the time to explain some stuff. One question, I need to add $10 to my Amazon order for free shipping on a camera bag and I think I need a better flash. Should I get this: Amazon.com: Bower Economical Dedicated Digital Zoom / Bounce / Swivel Shoe Mount Flash for Sony DSLR Cameras, Guide Number 99: Camera & Photo or should I get one of those hot shoes and get a flash at a later date when I know I need it. Or maybe a lens filter, what do you guys suggest in the way of accessories, it only came with the box, manual, standard 18-70 lens and cap.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think that you should take some time with your camera and learn as much as you can before you decide what "accessories" that you need...

Accessories depend highly on the type of photography you intend to do.. If you spend our time outdoors and like landscapes, perhaps a tripod and circular polarizer would be your first buy....... If you do a lot of indoors and kids stuff, then the flash would benefit, although you should still spend time to decide which flash would work best for you..

As for a bag....... again, you need to know what you want.. Mine spend storage time in a Pelican hard-case, but when I plan to go out, they either go on my shoulder or in a back-pack style bag....

Congratulations on your new camera acquisition! $250 for a d-slr seems like a really good deal. I hope you really get some use out of the Sony, and have a good time with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back