Need Opinions

Luminosity

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I guess Santa forgot this kiddo put a 'Nikon DSLR' on her list and has come back to stuff it in her stocking ! :D :D :D :D

My fiance rang from Boston to tell me he went and ordered a Nikon D50 package from Cameta Cameras ( he disregarded Ebay and rang them direct...

He got the kit lens 18-55mm, which I havent heard rave reviews about...and I asked him what the other lens was, which they included in the package, and he couldnt think of it offhand...said that it was something- 300 ( at least he thinks that was it...).

Now I have done a search and all I've come up with is this : 70-300mm f/4-5.6G.

I have googled for reviews and all I seem to read about it is that it isnt that good at all.

I'm thinkin of getting him to call Cameta and asking them how good a deal they can give him for the Nikon D50 body and an 18-70mm lens....

We're going to Europe soon and I want to get some shots of the country, some landscapes ...as well as my regular style of photography; street photography/people.

Is it better to just swap the two lens they're giving us and ask for the 18-70mm ? Advice would be awesome !

The 1.8 50mm should be dirt cheap. Regardless of what other lenses you get, putting one of these in your bag is not something you'll regret.

There's nothing wrong with your idea of going for the 18-70mm, it will give you some options and will probably feel better than the others you mentioned.

The zoom isn't all about getting closer, zoom can change the shot without changing the perspective the way it would if you moved.

50mm is a must, regardless of any other purchases you may or may not make. You are going to love the pup!

Azuth said:
The zoom isn't all about getting closer, zoom can change the shot without changing the perspective the way it would if you moved.
That's true. One of my pet peeves is how so many people use the zoom as a way to fill the frame without moving. I know it comes from not understanding all the different ways focal length affects the image (forshortening, DOF, % of normal view enclosed, etc.), but it still makes me cringe. I personally believe that one should choose the focal length first, based on what it does, and then move to fit the image to a good composition. I can understand using a zoom to make things fit when you can't move around, but that's making do.

I have a 70-300 4-5.6 albeit a Canon mount, and I'm not all that thrilled with it. The loss of clarity past 200mm is almost intolerable.

I'd say 50mm 1.8 (my favorite lense). 18-70 sounds like a good usable range, although I wouldn't get one unless it's a fast lense, 2.8 or better.

My next lense will be a 70-200 2.8, but that's a year or more off. I just told myself I wasn't going to buy any more crappy lenses, period. I'm going to save my money.

Ok, my fiance finally received the email telling him our package was shipped out and he showed me what he finally got.

Hoya 52mm (G SERIES) UV Filter Qty: 2
Mack +3 YR Digital Camera Ext. Warranty ($500-$1000 Retail) (1057)
Kit containing the following:
Nikon D50 Digital SLR Camera w/ 18-55mm DX Lens Outfit - Black
Nikon AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
Transcend 1GB 80x SecureDigital (SD) Card
High Speed USB 2.0 SecureDigital (SD) Card Reader
ImageRecall Digital Image Recovery Software
Nikon Compact SLR Gadget Bag (9835)
Spare EN-EL3 Battery for Nikon
Memory Card Storage Wallet
Deluxe 5-Piece Cleaning Kit
Microfiber Cleaning Cloth

I was telling him to ask them to forego the lenses they originally were offering him, to instead pay $80 more for the 18-70mm only and we'll get the 50mm 1.8 down the road.Instead they offered him the 55-200 lens with the kit lens....

I've been reading reviews on the 55-200 lens....no rave reviews at all so far...

On the card: Is the Transcend SD card ok ?

Most reactions

Back