Need Opionions on a Flash! Please help guys!

feRRari4756

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys I need a pretty high end flash for my canon 30d.

I would like one with a fast recharge rate (?)

and i want it to be canon brand. I am looking at the Canon Speedlite 540EZ TTL Flash. Is this a good flash, and will it work with my canon 30d?

Thanks!

I may be wrong, but I think that's an older model flash designed for film SLRs and it may not work properly with Canon EOS Digital DSLRs.

The EX Speedlites will work with the digital DSLRs. I have a 580EX II for my XTi and it works great. Very fast recharge rate.

A couple of my shooting buddies use the 430EX or 430EX II Speedlites and they're pretty happy with them...the recharge rate isn't as fast as the 580EX II. Less power too.

Last edited:
Well for the Canon Speedlite 540EZ it says that it can be used with any EOS body. But i would try to dish outabout 200 more $ and get the 580EX II since you will get a much faster sync rate and more power. I have a 430EX which is enough for me but thinking about getting a 580EX II on camera nad using my 430EX as a slave.

I may be wrong, but I think that's an older model flash designed for film DSLRs and it may not work properly with Canon EOS Digital DSLRs.

The EX Speedlites will work with the digital DSLRs. I have a 580EX II for my XTi and it works great. Very fast recharge rate.

A couple of my shooting buddies use the 430EX or 430EX II Speedlites and they're pretty happy with them...the recharge rate isn't as fast as the 580EX II. Less power too.

film DSLR? just for futire referene thats a SLR. the D stand for digital.

Film DSLR? Just for future reference, that's a SLR. The D stand for digital.
Oops...corrected.

After doing a little more checking, it looks like the EZ flashes will 'work' (flash will fire) on a EOS Digital DSLR, but only in manual mode. The EZ flashes are TTL flashes, not E-TTL or E-TTL II.

For more in-depth information, see answer #2 on this web page.

More infomation about TTL and E-TTL found here.

And more information here.

The Canon 30D uses E-TTL II flash metering. Any EX series Speedlite Flash unit will work.

Oops...corrected.

After doing a little more checking, it looks like the EZ flashes will 'work' (flash will fire) on a EOS Digital DSLR, but only in manual mode. The EZ flashes are TTL flashes, not E-TTL or E-TTL II.

For more in-depth information, see answer #2 on this web page.

More infomation about TTL and E-TTL found here.

And more information here.

The Canon 30D uses E-TTL II flash metering. Any EX series Speedlite Flash unit will work.

Yep, It will work but cannot use TTL metering. I use a 430ez in manual with my 20D's, everything else works just fine.

The best flash right now is the 580ex mkII. Canon is doing its rebate program so, its 50 bucks cheaper right now.

ohh thanks for all the replies guys.

I am looking to spend about 400-500 for a pretty good canon flash. which one should i buy?

the 580ex mkII is like 700 dollars lol.

Wow...are you in Australia? I bought my 580EX II a month ago for $360 US.
I just got home and unboxed mine tonight, I too paid $360 NIB from Amazon.com.

ohh haha srrry. i converted the money wrong. from some reason i kept getting european websties when i googled "580ex mkII" so i just converted it to US. but whatever. so theyre like 360 new. well, what is like one step down from that?
what is two steps down?

THANKS!

The US lol.

and i think I am going to go with the Canon 430EX II Speedlite.
But, how do i know it will fit my camera? I have a canon 30d.
It will fit and work quite nicely, and produce magnificent results.

It's quite similar to my 580EXII, it's just a little weaker in the power department and recharges a little slower. But it's a nice high end flash IMHO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back