Need Photo Interns for a Magazine

msxmag

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok... I'm working on a new magazine for the "metrosexual" male.

It's an international mag, so I really need some exceptional photographers from different countries (US also) and I'm not having much luck finding them.

If anyone out there is interested, two considerations:
• this would be an unpaid internship (you decide length of internship)
• there is an agreement the photographer must sign giving copyright to the magazine (since we are the publisher)

My name is Michael; I'm the editor, publisher, art director, you name it (for the time being). I'm easy to get along with, I just need some great people to help me with this project. My email is [email protected]

Your name will, of course, go in the photo credits, so you get exposure. I believe I can reach my goal of publishing 100,000 copies monthly worldwide. People in 27 different countries have already pre-subscribed to this magazine. The website is www.msxmag.com.

I haven't posted on this type of blog before, but if you ask me a question, I'll try to answer it on the blog. You may also email me any questions.

Thanks all!

///Michael

I think it's more some kind of wishfull thinking.
He wants exceptional photographers but wants them to do it for nothing. Maybe this is why he can't find any.
And as every page of his mag is under construction...
Good photographers would only do it for lo/no if it was an established prestige mag or it looked like it was going to be.
He should look to see how people like this did it
http://www.idonline.com/
I remember them setting up in the early 80's and how they went about it.

Nope not spam, this just seemed like the best place to look for photographers. How did I.D. magazine go about getting photographers? I'm open to ideas..

Haven't read ID magazine for a long time, but at least in design, unpaid internships often attract negative remarks.

There are ways you can do this:
Freelance- pay for the photos that you want.
Internship- Pay for the time I suppose.

If you don't need to be in the company to work, I don't see it as internship, because internships involve exchange of experience between the employer and the employee. It is the experience that makes internships valuable. If not, call it a freelance job.

It's normal to submit the copy right of the photos, but you should allow the person use it in his/her portfolio after it has been published in your magazine. Of course, he/she gets paid as well.

Good argument on the "internship" aspect. All I can offer at the moment is exposure. My site is undergoing SEO (search engine optimization) so we'll receive more hits.

As far as how promising this magazine is (because it's not an established magazine yet); my media kit better describes the project (you make your own judgment on how successful this might be).
http://www.msxmag.com/advertise/MEDKIT05-0MSX.pdf

I'm meeting with investors (some of them are friends) in April/May to get funding ($600,000) to make this happen. At that point, I can pay for freelance work.

I forgot to mention: The agreement doesn't prevent the photographer from using the photos in their portfolio.

msxmag said:
Nope not spam, this just seemed like the best place to look for photographers. How did I.D. magazine go about getting photographers? I'm open to ideas..
It was set up as a style magazine with a couple of graphic designers and two or three photographers in partnership. They had a clear idea of what they wanted to do and who their target audience was. It was incredibly stylish, inventive and original - using type and images in a fresh way. Within 6 issues they were 'the' magazine for designers and Art college students. They didn't start letting others in for a while and even then they kept tight control.
One of the main photographers was Nick Knight who saw it as a vehicle for his style of picture and a chance to call the shots.
You seem to be wanting photographers to work for you - but offering little incentive. Maybe if you gave them editorial control so they saw it as a form of self-promotion.
But first get the design sorted - it's very 90's car mag. I doubt if it is going to appeal to metrosexuals (retrosexuals, maybe...)

Just wanted to say two things...

First... good luck on your new magazine... I truely wish the best....

Second... please don't make your website resize my browser to take up the entire screen. Think of it in this manner.... I'm inviting your website as a guest on my screen for an opportunity to present what you have to offer. The worst thing a guest can do is immediately put their feet up on my coffee table, drop all their stuff everywhere and take up ~all~ my space without asking....

I can relate to that. I have it as my homepage and everytime I open a new window.. bam! I'll be changing it next time I have time to make updates to the site. Thanks for the feedback.

///Michael

I'm just wondering, are you also on writers forums asking for "writers internships?"

Hertz van Rental said:
It was set up as a style magazine with a couple of graphic designers and two or three photographers in partnership. They had a clear idea of what they wanted to do and who their target audience was. It was incredibly stylish, inventive and original - using type and images in a fresh way. Within 6 issues they were 'the' magazine for designers and Art college students. They didn't start letting others in for a while and even then they kept tight control.
One of the main photographers was Nick Knight who saw it as a vehicle for his style of picture and a chance to call the shots.
You seem to be wanting photographers to work for you - but offering little incentive. Maybe if you gave them editorial control so they saw it as a form of self-promotion.
But first get the design sorted - it's very 90's car mag. I doubt if it is going to appeal to metrosexuals (retrosexuals, maybe...)

Hertz...dude you know everything. How can one man hold so much information in a brain? I am in awe. no joke!

Most reactions

Back