Need photos like these...

iamsal1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone!

I am part of an entertainment company and have been put to the task of researching what camera(dslr), lense and other supporting hardware I will need to shoot photos of our events. My boss is adimant about capturing the shine and glow in a vivid way. He gave me photos as an example. Please help me with finding some direction! Thank you all very much!

Instagram post by GEOEVENTS • Mar 24, 2017 at 11:04am UTC
Instagram post by GEOEVENTS • Mar 21, 2017 at 10:19am UTC
Instagram post by GEOEVENTS • Feb 10, 2017 at 11:33am UTC

Last edited:
I also want to ensure that I know and I stress that I know. That it is more about the skill of the person shooting the photo than the camera taking the photo that determines the caliber of photo taken.

Just about any recent cell phone camera can make photos like those you linked to.

.. in a vivid way.
There's a slider for that.

Seriously, just take the picture, upload it to your computer, and fiddle with it until you like it.

Any decent modern digitial camera ought to work. Use the sliders and the Instagram filters.

I also want to ensure that I know and I stress that I know. That it is more about the skill of the person shooting the photo than the camera taking the photo that determines the caliber of photo taken.
Apparently you boss doesn't know that. Ask him which electrical wire I should use to get my rec room lights to look like that. He will get the point. :biggrin-new:

Your priority should be to hire that person with the knowledge and skill... and they will know how to select the appropriate gear.

As the rooms are empty, those are fairly easy shots. Two of them were taken with wide-angle "fish eye" lenses (curvilinear wide-angle) and one was taken with a "rectilinear" wide-angle lens. The difference is that curvilinear lenses allow lines which are straight in real life to appear curved in the photo while a rectilinear wide-angle lens will maintain all straight lines as "straight" in the photo.

For a Canon camera, they might have used this lens for the fish-eye shots: EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM

For a Nikon camera, they might have used this lens for the fish-eye shots:
AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D from Nikon

They may have used a DSLR body with an APS-C size sensor (because a full-frame body would likely have produced a much wider looking shot and the room's sense of depth would seem more stretched.)

The first and third images were made with what we call a full frame fisheye lens. It is a lens with a 180 degree angle of view from corner to the opposite corner on a diagonal. The middle image what made with a short wide angle lens, probably what we call a super wide angle. Lenses like these are available for most interchangeable lens digital cameras.

Since the boss is buying....
Nikon D750 or Canon 5D Mk IV
Lenses (14-24 f/2.8 or 11-24 f/4 correspondingly)
Tripod is a MUST

Thank you for the very knowledgeable replies, I could have done without the snarky iPhone camera remarks, But thank you as well.

In regards to why we cannot hire A professional, is because a professional is generally working the days and time slots we are also working. No one is going to come and take room shots for a couple of hundred dollars when they are sacrificing making thousands. Obviously when we are working alongside a friend or colleague they will take the pictures for us but we cannot only rely on that. That is why we want to purchase our own gear so we can be self-sustaining.

Now I know what body I would buy if I had carte Blanche but I need to find something a little more practical. Any suggestions?

Now I know what body I would buy if I had carte Blanche but I need to find something a little more practical. Any suggestions?
You may want to provide a total practical budget amount.

solutions can vary greatly from carte blanche prices to less, to much less, to much much less.

Actually a professional is probably much cheaper and will yield higher quality results - than trying to buy the necessary gear and doing it yourself.

Actually getting fisheye lenses isnt too easy. There are really cheap dinky (low quality but they would probably suffice) fisheyes for that around, but the cameras have to match, and these cheap dinky lenses often expect full frame (or worse).

In regards to why we cannot hire A professional, is because a professional is generally working the days and time slots we are also working.
Just ask them ?

Last edited:
Figuring a budget of $1500 give or take a little.

Like I said, it is very hard to book an event photographer at a decent rate for room shots in the same timeslot as being the main shooter for the family. We will always utilize professionals when need be but we do 3 to 4 events weekend and it's just not possible to book someone every single event. The plan is to designate one member of staff, our graphic designer to head The room shots. Thank you for the valuable input so far!

I'd get a Nikon D5600 ($700) and a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 ($450) decent tripod (I use a Velbon Sherpa 200R which is cheap but decent. $120), a quality polarising filter (to help kill reflections, Marumi DHG Super $82) and a discal clamp (£35). Then just need photoshop ($10/month for a year on adobe's subdcription package) and learn to shoot bracketed shots and combine using luminocity masking in photoshop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back