Need pricing help

nrois02

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I picked up a small job going to different locations to take photos of different signs for a small sign company. I am still a student but im looking to put a price on this because I feel like my work has gotten to that level. I was thinking around $200 per sign and I talked with my photography teacher Arno Minkkinen(his site is here if anyone wants to check him out)
Arno Rafael Minkkinen

but he told me $250 per sign plus cost of traveling and anything else. these signs are all shapes and sizes. Let me know what you think, if Im being way over/under priced. Thanks!

Hey all, I picked up a small job going to different locations to take photos of different signs for a small sign company. I am still a student but im looking to put a price on this because I feel like my work has gotten to that level. I was thinking around $200 per sign and I talked with my photography teacher Arno Minkkinen(his site is here if anyone wants to check him out)
Arno Rafael Minkkinen

but he told me $250 per sign plus cost of traveling and anything else. these signs are all shapes and sizes. Let me know what you think, if Im being way over/under priced. Thanks!
This is no where near enough information for anyone to give you a reasonable answer.

In any event, the key to pricing commercial photography is usage. Commercial photographers sell a use license for each image. The cost of the license is dictated by usage over time. Most use licenses are written for about a 12 month period.

Visit www.ASMP.org (American Society of Media Photographers) and check out their usage licensing guide.

Another resource many commercial photographers use is fotoQuote Pro 6 software. www.cradocfotosoftware.com

Last edited:
ok thanks. i know there is not enough info here. this is my first go at this so if anyone could also give anymore help for what i would need would be great!

ok thanks. i know there is not enough info here. this is my first go at this so if anyone could also give anymore help for what i would need would be great!

Maybe it's just me and it's late, but, if you "know there is not enough info here" but you want anyone to "give anymore help," don't you think you should provide us with more information? Or is this just a case where you don't have any other information? If it is, then I suggest you really get a handle on what you're being asked to do. Otherwise, you could dramatically under-price yourself (you may not think you're under-pricing because you didn't expect to make this money in the first place, but regardless of that, you should be paid fairly).

200.00 for taking pictures of signs....??????? further more per sign! id say 200.00 for a days work depending on how much you travel and how many pictures you have to take. on the information given its hard to say what you should charge but i wouldnt charge per sign but by a days worth of work and how far you have to drive.

well I talked with the person who is asking me to do this and and he shot off 13 different locations all over from 10 to 30 miles away from each location so there will be a great deal of driving. some of the locations also have multiple signs he needs me to take pictures for. So I was thinking around 200 per location. and for the info needed in this post Im not really sure what should be in it. any guidelines to follow so I can put the correct info in?

I think the key points are:

what is he going to use them for?

and

how small is this small sign shop?

if this is a mom and pop place that just wants a veiwbook for the counter then $2600 for all thirteen locations is probably going to net you a "no thank-you" If its a busy sign shop with a variety of uses in mind then you might get more.

One point of discussion with the owner should be 13 locations 10-30 miles away will require about 13 hours of travel time which is part of my price. he pays delivery drivers so he knows that driving time costs money.

good luck
jerry

thanks a lot jerry, hes going to use them for the company website.

the sign shop isnt a mom and pop shop but its not a huge warehouse place. he does get a lot of business like bank of america, dunkin donuts, and then small and big business's around the concord ma area and also umass boston college. so I guess I would put him in the middle of mom and pop and industry size.

but i still think that 2600 is a little much maybe if I just cap it at 1500 would that be better?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back