Need quick advice!

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok guys, im posting from my phone so please excuse typos.

Long story short I just got a callback on a photo job I applied for. They're impressed, but want to see a product photo done on a white background. Two things I rarely do, and have never done together. I have to take the photo and send it to them this evening. Its a big bay area company that doesn't like waiting, and I really want to impress them so I need your best tips on shooting products on white. I'm going to run around trying to find some white paper, else ill have to use a sheet. I'm at a remote field station so supplies are limited, but they don't care about the product I use, they just want a clear photo, not too much styling. I'm thinking an Apple in a bowl or chopsticks with a bowl, or maybe a bottle of wine. I've got three stands, a reflector, two speedlights, two umbrellas and a softbox.

Thanks! I'll post my photos later so you all can help me snag the best.

Update: I've sourced about 6 ft of matte white butcher paper. That should give me a gentle curve to the backdrop and about 2-3 ft vertical shooting space with a bit for the product to sit on. Now I need lighting and product tips.

Lots of soft light with the right angles to avoid glare and hot spots, a DoF so the grain of the paper in the background isn't in focus, and a gentle curve/cyc to the paper and you're fine. You might get a couple of clamps to hold the paper to the chair or table or stand or whatever you're using to get it to go up.

Just a suggestion--flaws in fruit can stand out really well in situations like this. So either buy a couple of apples. Or shoot variations (some of apples, some of your chopsticks). I'd suggest looking at things like your phone or watch or a pair of glasses or even a piece of camera gear...as long as it's in good shape and looks new.

One light for the background, one for the product. If you're going to use wine, then I'd make sure it was red wine, but I would actually look for a matte product just to make your life easier so that you don't have to deal with annoying reflections.

Is it a requirement that the object(s) are reflective?

IOW: I would stay away from anything shiny such as glass unless that is what they specifically want. Make it easy on yourself and use something that isn't shiny.

Long story short I just got a callback on a photo job I applied for. They're impressed, but want to see a product photo done on a white background. Two things I rarely do, and have never done together. I have to take the photo and send it to them this evening. Its a big bay area company that doesn't like waiting, and I really want to impress them so I need your best tips on shooting products on white. I'm going to run around trying to find some white paper, else ill have to use a sheet. I'm at a remote field station so supplies are limited, but they don't care about the product I use, they just want a clear photo, not too much styling. I'm thinking an Apple in a bowl or chopsticks with a bowl, or maybe a bottle of wine. I've got three stands, a reflector, two speedlights, two umbrellas and a softbox.

Honestly, if you've never done it and have to fudge a resume, are you really the best pro for the job?

Honestly, if you've never done it and have to fudge a resume, are you really the best pro for the job?

If he can pull off the shot, how is he fudging it? Nothing wrong with asking for help.

I'd keep it simple since it has to be done tonight. Some plastic containers or cups? maybe plain with no lettering/company's name? and not shiny or reflective. Picnicware? a scoop of some sort? Look around and see what has some nice color and no reflective surfaces.

And if you're not sure on setting up your lighting, this is like cramming for a test. I probably wouldn't overpromise if you get into an interview, and it sounds like you'd need to be thinking about how you can learn product photography if that's going to be part of the job (I wonder if you might have to be prepared to discuss how you'd be willing to learn any part of the job that's new to you or that you don't yet have a lot of experience doing).

Nothing reflective, and as tirediron said one for the main and one for the background. Shouldn't be too difficult--I have faith in you!

I appreciate all the ideas. Let me make a few things clear:

1. I'm confident in my lighting ability regardless of shooting style, they share that feeling and simply want to see me apply it to a white background product photo.

2. I've done product photos before, but I simply haven't done them on a white background, this category isn't entirely new. Most of my shots before were conceptual, and they are looking for more categorical.

3. I'm mainly just compiling a list of item suggestions, that's the purpose of this thread. I've got glassware that I'll give a shot, and I've got other items such as an old Canon AE -1 and a few others.

4. I've in no way fudged a resume, or anything at all. They know I don't do products typically, and if anything, they like that variety. They want to see how flexible I can be, and this is how.

Thanks to those that have been helpful, I really appreciate the ideas.

I appreciate all the ideas. Let me make a few things clear:

1. I'm confident in my lighting ability regardless of shooting style, they share that feeling and simply want to see me apply it to a white background product photo.

2. I've done product photos before, but I simply haven't done them on a white background, this category isn't entirely new. Most of my shots before were conceptual, and they are looking for more categorical.

3. I'm mainly just compiling a list of item suggestions, that's the purpose of this thread. I've got glassware that I'll give a shot, and I've got other items such as an old Canon AE -1 and a few others.

4. I've in no way fudged a resume, or anything at all. They know I don't do products typically, and if anything, they like that variety. They want to see how flexible I can be, and this is how.

Thanks to those that have been helpful, I really appreciate the ideas.

I look forward to the result!

Yawn. This type of response is so old and tired. Don't be such a Debbie Downer.

Most reactions

Back