Need quick advice!

Honestly, if you've never done it and have to fudge a resume, are you really the best pro for the job?

Yawn. This type of response is so old and tired. Don't be such a Debbie Downer.
Did somebody here call for a Debbie Downer?

Ah crap, I guess not. Oh well, just so you know if you need me I'm more than happy to rain all over your parade, or for a small surcharge pee on your leg while insisting it's raining.

Just let me know...

Lol

How did it go ??

what does Debbie does Dallas have to do with this ?

Ok, here we go. I had about an hour and a half or so in total to do my shooting. After speaking to the recruiter again, they want more than a single photo and some variety in terms of objects. I found working with the limited selection of objects a little constricting, it was interesting what I could scrounge up around the lab, especially the old geiger-counter. Especially so when compounded with the white background and the fact that they told me they don't want aperture control demonstrated for these images, just sharp throughout the object (or mostly). In their words, keep the "styling" and composition at bay, just show some lighting skills, the rest comes later in the hiring process. All in all I wanted to pick objects that wouldn't be technically too easy, nothing that makes someone think "he took the easy way out on that one."

I didn't want them to all be so "standardized", so I decided to do something with the apple. My goal was to leave a memorable image, something to make someone take a second glance, but just subtly so. They're all single exposures between 1/50 and 1/160.

They've requested several photos, so I plan on sending 4 of the 5. If you all could pick one or two that you would toss, it would be a big help. I have my opinions, but I'm curious what you think.

CutzX19.jpg

liU3VFY.jpg

UizXiiL.jpg

xNXIkbW.jpg

A8wI9En.jpg

Well, none of them have a pure white background. So you'll have to do some photoshop work. Once you do that to the vial, it will be an obvious mismatch through the glass compared to the background. Also, you'll have a hard time with the white porcelain bowl. You should have used a darker color. You've got bleed around the top of the lens and the white balance is off a bit. The only one I would use is the geiger counter.

Background looks fine to me as well. I would ditch the beaker, for sure. There's not enough to define the edges of it.

Well, none of them have a pure white background. So you'll have to do some photoshop work. Once you do that to the vial, it will be an obvious mismatch through the glass compared to the background. Also, you'll have a hard time with the white porcelain bowl. You should have used a darker color. You've got bleed around the top of the lens and the white balance is off a bit. The only one I would use is the geiger counter.
I agree that the geiger counter is definitely the best. The apple & brown bowl shots could both be improved with a little post work. The backgrounds look about 1/3 stop under to me. Both the lens and the beaker should be ditched.

I agree that the geiger counter is definitely the best. The apple & brown bowl shots could both be improved with a little post work. The backgrounds look about 1/3 stop under to me. Both the lens and the beaker should be ditched.

Pretty much my sentiments as well. If you have to send 4/5, then ditch the beaker.

Also, these are pretty darn good considering you had to toss all of this together at the last minute.

Pretty much my sentiments as well. If you have to send 4/5, then ditch the beaker.

Also, these are pretty darn good considering you had to toss all of this together at the last minute.

That's what I forgot to add. You not only A) stuck it to the haters and made some damn good images given the time, but also B) showed you can work well under pressure. They better hire you!

Love the bowl and chopsticks but I'll agree the background is a touch under exposed. Ditch the lens. The top edge is a bit hazy and not well defined. Nice work under pressure.

Sure, the background is fine if you want an uneven, grey-ish purplish background.

Oh, look. It's Debbie.

Let's see your product shots.

I'd go with 2, 3, 4, and 5. Background looks fine to me

Sure, the background is fine if you want an uneven, grey-ish purplish background.

Well it's fine if you just look at it like a normal human being does, using the eye - if you want to nitpick, pixel peep, and use the eye dropper in photoshop to sample and check RGB levels well you can find plenty of problems with any picture. Yes, even yours.

For product shots these are all very good. If you can produce better and have something constructive to say on how you go about doing that, feel free to respond. If all your into is posting snark just for the sake of stroking your own ego, don't bother.

Most reactions

Back