Need Reccomendation on Lens and body

modlife

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm wanting to start a wedding portfolio, and it's time to stop borrowing my friends' gear since I recently moved. I don't feel comfortable without a second body so this is where I am. I know I have a good eye, and advanced knowledge of optics, technique, etc. I have experience with the 40D and 5D

My question is this - on a $1500 budget, what would you recommend as a canon upgrade?

I currently have a Rebel Xs and terrible(IMO) 18-55mm kit lens

The EOS 40D for $1000 includes a decent 28-135mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6

...My guess is that the lens is too slow for most good shots I'd like to get, and 28mm isn't quite wide enough for indoor groups.

...The 40D has been my choice to date b/c it has all of the features I need, and I've used the body A LOT

...Any f/2.8 or lenses you'd recommend for $500(new or used) to compliment the kit lens? - I shoot hand held, so I like IS for obvious reasons, but what do you think?

The Xsi for $600 would allow a budget for a better lens but lacks the speed and features I want to upgrade for(manual interface, construction, viewfinder, live view, burst rate, buffer, etc.)

Obviously I could only afford one additional lens, albeit much nicer - so I'd need a quality mid range zoom if the Xsi wins out.

Eventually I'll be upgrading again, hopefully to a 5d or better but not until after I first afford the lenses i REALLY want (70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM and 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM)

I need some ideas.....

I just picked up used Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for 520 from ebay...saw same lens for 600 in chicago craigslist.

I just picked up used Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for 520 from ebay...saw same lens for 600 in chicago craigslist.

I'm reading about that lens right now...lol

Have you gotten to use it much? I'm afraid it won't stack up to the Canon, but I'm reading otherwise. I'm thinking that may be the right choice, along with the 40D -too many decisions, but god I love it ;)

I'd recommend the Tamron SP AF 17-50 f/2.8 XR. It's 2.8 throughout the zoom range and is a reasonably sharp lens for well under $500.00 new. One drawback is that it does not have image stabilization, but still a very good, useful and compact lens for the money. I've have one for over a year and I use it as the main "walking around" lens on my D80.

I'm reading about that lens right now...lol

Have you gotten to use it much? I'm afraid it won't stack up to the Canon, but I'm reading otherwise. I'm thinking that may be the right choice, along with the 40D -too many decisions, but god I love it ;)

according to reviews it is not up to par with canon L USM, it's softer at wide open apertures and at short focusing distance, but I am not a pro, just an amateur, and it should be a great step up form sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 I had so far. I am still waiting for it to arrive so haven't used it yet.

I also recently got Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX, and this lens rocks!

I'd recommend the Tamron SP AF 17-50 f/2.8 XR. It's 2.8 throughout the zoom range and is a reasonably sharp lens for well under $500.00 new. One drawback is that it does not have image stabilization, but still a very good, useful and compact lens for the money. I've have one for over a year and I use it as the main "walking around" lens on my D80.

At $350 I think I can do without IS for a while ;)

I'm thinking I'll go with this and the kit 28-135mm for now - I think I can pull off a lot with 50mm and some creative PS work, I'll add the canon 70-200mm in a couple months or I think I'll regret the lack of IS on such a heavy lens.

Last edited:
I'd take the Tamron 17-50 over the Sigma 18-50.... bad experiences with Sigma.

40D body +
Tamron 17-50 +
Tamron 70-200 =
Winner!

That is of course assuming you go with Canon.... My camera-body has IS built in for every lens......

I'd take the Tamron 17-50 over the Sigma 18-50.... bad experiences with Sigma.

40D body +
Tamron 17-50 +
Tamron 70-200 =
Winner!

That is of course assuming you go with Canon.... My camera-body has IS built in for every lens......

Canon doesn't have IS in the body. I decided on the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, and canon 40D kit 28-135mm for now. Most of my work is shooting beach portraits in the sun, so I can get away with it for a couple months until I can afford the 70-200mm L IS USM ;)

Thanks for all the help - I hadn't seen that Tamron lens as an option.

You're going to be doing weddings, you say?

Weddings are where I'm headed - which is why I'm looking for faster lenses for low light. Through summer, 90% of my work will be outside, in the sun and I can rent lenses/bodies if I absolutely need to but obviously I'll buy my own ASAP.

Get a good flashgun it is worth the money promise. I used the pop um flash on my d50 for years and realized that it suck bought a cheap sunpak light that had bounce and thought it was great. Bought a d200 wanted to use the remote deal so i bought a SB 800 and there are worlds of diffrence.

I'm actually using a 580EX and 430EX master/slave when I can. You're right - worlds of difference. The thing is, a lot of people ask for no flash...

I primarily shoot weddings.
I have both a 30D and a 20D ...

I think you should just get the 40D. That way it'll carry you into the future, instead of having to upgrade the Rebel.

I definatley think you should go for the 50 mm 1.4 Canon lens. It's in the $300's and it's a FABULOUS lens. It's a great bang for your buck. Many photogs say they could shoot an entire wedding with this lens, if they had to.

For portraits, nothing is better than the Canon 85 mm! I have the 1.8 version, and am in love with this lens.

I never use anything more than the 85 mm when shooting weddings (in terms of a lens like 70-200 mm). I dont think its something you need right away. The prime lenses (like the 50 or 85 mm) will treat you VERY well when you start out.

And when you can afford it, the 16-35 mm f/2.8 L has been fabulous for weddings. It's nice and open WIDE for those group shots.

HTH!

If you sell your Xs with a kit lens you can get an additional $400+

Now your talking $1900-$2000. Grab the 40D with the kit lens for ~$1000 and the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM which you can find for ~$800. Then you have some cash left over to take a pretty lady on a date and grab a filter!

If you sell your Xs with a kit lens you can get an additional $400+

Now your talking $1900-$2000. Grab the 40D with the kit lens for ~$1000 and the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM which you can find for ~$800. Then you have some cash left over to take a pretty lady on a date and grab a filter!

Gotta have the back-up ;)

I went with the 40D, 28-135mm, ordered the Tamron 17-50mm, and bought a couple extra strobes/stands/soft boxes/filters/hood/a few other odds and ends.

Now, if I could afford a power pack to get the strobes on the beach I'd be in business. I may resort to dragging out the Honda 2000 if the jobs really need the strobes. For now, the on-location stuff has to work with the flash guns I guess. I'll post pics from my first engagement shoot sometime next week.

Most reactions

Back