Need soft box imput

bunny99123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't have a studio, but I do have a light stand with umbrella and speed light.

My Question: I checked out an umbrella soft box. Not sure what it is called. The light from the flash reflects off of the umbrella and is reflected back through white material.

1) will this be as affective as a regular black box?
2) have you used one?
3) the advantage is that the umbrella device has a rod like an umbrella, and it would put less stress on the flash.

Yes, I have used four of these types of devices, two by Lastolite, and two made by some nameless company in China and sold on e-Bay through Steve Kaeser Enterprises. ALL of them worked similarly. I personally LOVE this kind of a light modifier, for the quick set-up and break-down, portability, and the way the shaft never gets misplaced, the way softbox rods or struts sometimes get misplaced.

This type of device can make some very nice light. I would say the umbrella box, with the reflecting umbrella design paired with the white diffusion from panel, is a good light modifier, well worth considering over a softbox.

+2 to Derrel's comments.
They are also known as brollys.
Ultimately, a photographer can wind up with a pretty broad variety of light modifiers in a variety of sizes and light controlling tools like flags, scrims, diffusion panels, reflectors, black flats, etc.

For portraiture, smaller modifiers are used for head/head and shoulder shots than for 3/4 shots, than for full body shots.

I used Photek's Softlighter - Photek Softliter 60 Inch Diffused Umbrella

Photek Softlighter II, 46 inch Umbrella with Diffuser.

Photek 36 inch Softlighter, Diffusing Umbrella with Black Cover

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Westcott Apollos, in various sizes here. They just work and work. The set I have are probably pushing 20 years old.

Yes, I have used four of these types of devices, two by Lastolite, and two made by some nameless company in China and sold on e-Bay through Steve Kaeser Enterprises. ALL of them worked similarly. I personally LOVE this kind of a light modifier, for the quick set-up and break-down, portability, and the way the shaft never gets misplaced, the way softbox rods or struts sometimes get misplaced.

This type of device can make some very nice light. I would say the umbrella box, with the reflecting umbrella design paired with the white diffusion from panel, is a good light modifier, well worth considering over a softbox.

Thank you! You never know what works unless you ask others:)

+2 to Derrel's comments.
They are also known as brollys.
Ultimately, a photographer can wind up with a pretty broad variety of light modifiers in a variety of sizes and light controlling tools like flags, scrims, diffusion panels, reflectors, black flats, etc.

For portraiture, smaller modifiers are used for head/head and shoulder shots than for 3/4 shots, than for full body shots.

I used Photek's Softlighter - Photek Softliter 60 Inch Diffused Umbrella

Photek Softlighter II, 46 inch Umbrella with Diffuser.

Photek 36 inch Softlighter, Diffusing Umbrella with Black Cover

Will take a look at these. Thank you:)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back