Need software to create Logo

myvinyl333

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.livegigshots.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know that I should use Photo Shop or one of the plug ins, but I do not have PS or PS skills. Could someone suggest software to create a logo for my website/water mark that does not entail large amounts of dead presidential paper?
Regards

What "look" are you going for with your watermark/logo?

Ideally, you want your logo (master file anyway) to be a vector graphic, not a pixel based graphic. So Adobe Illustrator, rather than Adobe Photoshop.

A vector graphic can be scaled to any size without distortion, a pixel graphic cannot.

A quick Google search found this...Inkscape. Draw Freely.

What "look" are you going for with your watermark/logo?

Here is what I have currently in the wings that a friend of mine made for me. It has limitations as it can only be used on the left as is and of course color selections. (Just the logo, not the photo)
$GBP.JPG

Ideally, you want your logo (master file anyway) to be a vector graphic, not a pixel based graphic. So Adobe Illustrator, rather than Adobe Photoshop.

A vector graphic can be scaled to any size without distortion, a pixel graphic cannot.

A quick Google search found this...Inkscape. Draw Freely.

I did not know this, but it makes sense from what little experience I have had with graphics. Thank you kindly.

If your friend screen printed that for you on the shirt they already have a vector file. You can use inkscape to edit it. It is free

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

If your friend screen printed that for you on the shirt they already have a vector file. You can use inkscape to edit it. It is free

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum
I apologize. I placed the logo on the photo via Lightroom. Sorry to mislead anyone.

Yup, photoshop is for photos. Design it in vector and you can use that logo for every single printed item you can image, from hats to key chains.

Just as a personal opinion, watermarks are not meant to take away from the images. Rather they are a signature. The one you have above is distracting as hell. Keep it simple, small and in the lower right.

Yup, photoshop is for photos. Design it in vector and you can use that logo for every single printed item you can image, from hats to key chains.

Just as a personal opinion, watermarks are not meant to take away from the images. Rather they are a signature. The one you have above is distracting as hell. Keep it simple, small and in the lower right.

Thank you for your insight. I am looking to have a logo on my website that it is currently being built. The one pictured above is meant to be the focus of the image. For me I use watermarks that blend into the photo in locations that lend themselves to not being readily noticed.

If you are looking to purchase a pre-made logo, Esty has some really great ones that are very inexpensive and they give you all of the forms you need such as vector, PSD, and PNG. Check it out.

If you are looking to purchase a pre-made logo, Esty has some really great ones that are very inexpensive and they give you all of the forms you need such as vector, PSD, and PNG. Check it out.

As long as this thread concerns my quest for a website/watermark logo. Suggested reading on how to or not select a logo? I looked @ Esty and the choices were endless. How do I make it me?

Another option would be to find a graphic design site/forum and commission a contest. Basically, you tell them what you want and what you are willing to pay (or there is a preset price). Designers who wish to enter the contest will come up with something and submit entries for you to choose from.
There are many such sites, just an example is Logo Design Contests $29

As for how to choose a logo...that is the hard part. I think that common sense should tell you that you want something that is easy to read and that will appeal to your target market. If you are marking to (typical) young women, you probably don't want skulls, guns & lighting etc. If you are marketing to men, you probably don't want frilly lace and harts etc.
The most 'successful' logos are often very simple and clever. For example, the FedEX logo is genius. It's simple, easy to read and the space between the E and the X forms an arrow, which is a great symbol for a shipping company.

I will give you some practical advice.

1. Colors are expensive. The more colors you add the more plates need to be made and ink and thread need to be used.

2. Simple is better. The more intricate lines and shapes you have the better chance of things getting screwed up while being reproduced. More so in applications like embroidered logos and if your logo is ever used on SD and HDtv.

3. Design logos that fit into squares and rectangles. Your logo should fit into one of these two. It makes uing it easier for everyone involved. Stay away from circles, triangle and designs that are really lopsided.

4. Keep your font choices tame enough that they can actually be read. The worst thing that can happen is if someone sees your logo and they can't read what it says.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back