need some advice on nikon equipment

uberegg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am about to make a purchase of all my new stuff...i have read all about all of this until my eyes just about fell out of my head so now i just want some personal advice on my specific choices...i am upgrading from a d50 with the kit lens and am keeping it on a college budget

i have decided on the sigma 10-20 and nikon 50mm 1.4 that much i am sure of...the question is...

nikon d90 with the 18-105 vr kit lens

or

nikon d80 with the 18-200 vr lens

i know there are pros and cons to both, just wondering what you all would personally decide on

thanks a bunch

D90 has a better sensor and processor, better noise handling and build. Plus the lens that comes with it is much better quality than the 18-200.

The video option doesn't hurt either.

2 of my photog friends just picked up D90s - literally just days ago. I haven't had my hands on one so I can't give you any personal experience but I can direct you to their blogs if you're interested in talking to them.

If I had a pick, I'd go with the D90.

The D90 would be my choice, I also like your choice in the 50mm, it's a great lens.

Sigma 10-20 - excellent!
Nikon 50 f1.4 - I have the f1.8, which I love, I'm sure the 1.4 is also a good choice (better build quality, etc) although a lot more expensive. Personally I find the 50mm focal length a bit awkward indoors, I use the 35mm f2.0 all the time since I recently got that one.
D90 - From what I've heard, blows away the D80 in every way. From auto focusing, metering, sensor quality, everything.
Nikon 18-200 - I'd avoid this one.
Nikon 18-105 - Not familiar with this, but it must be better than the 18-200.

Definitely the D90 and 18-105. Both camera and lens are better than the D80/18-200 setup.

D90 for sure. You'd be better served to save the cash from the kit lens and get a Tamron 17-50 2.8 though.

Id save up a few more days if i was you and buy a d300. Its a metal body not plastic like the D90 and D80.
If thats not a possibility I'd just get the D80 ... your not going to really notice the difference,and get a good fast lens which will make all the difference in the world.
Next year the D90 will be trumped by some other marvel so just worry about getting a good lens and not the latest new super toy that everyone else rushes out to buy as soon as it comes out.

Don't go by what everyone else says... go to a camera store and shoot a couple photos with both cameras.
Take a few pictures of something with sharp lines or edges and compare the sharpness.
I did that in a costco where they were selling D90's and the sharp edges weren't sharp at all.
Maybe I got a bad D90 to look through ... who knows. i was not impressed though. The D40x they had out too actually had sharper edges than the D90.
10.2 vs. 12.2 the difference is negligible at best... unless you plan on doing some serious cropping.
If I was you i wouldn't be so quick to jump on the latest super toy and worry more about good glass.
Go compare at the store and find out for yourself.

Last edited:
I would say go with the d90. I don't say that because the lens is no good because i own the 18-200 and it is a good lens.

Most reactions

Back