Need some advice

8ball

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't really shot people photography I tend to stay more to the cars and bikes, but someone asked me if I would take pictures of them. do you have any advice I want it to flow smoothly but I don't know how I will be with posing her.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

A little more information about the type of shoot, (fashion, portfolio, ?) the venues, your gear would help a lot.

portfolio out door shoot, going to be in a urban back ground/ industrial I have a d300 with a 35mm 1.8 and then 2 kit lens 18-55 55-200

Sorry I meant to be SB600 with a diffuser attached to the camera and that's it.

This is another difficult question to answer. You are asking a very broad question and you have not really given the membership a lot to start with. If you can it's best to provide all the pertinent information right at the beginning.

To get this done, in addition to knowing how to use your camera, you will need to know about makeup, wardrobe and posing. If you don't know this stuff then find an assistant who does.

For an outdoor shoot your little diffuser will do nothing but rob you of power. These have their utility in small rooms where the diffuser spreads the light in all directions which then bounces off the walls and ceilings to illuminate your subject. Outside with no bounce surfaces: no utility at all. If all you'll have for this assignment is that sb-600 then either look to shoot in a very harsh direct light style or get a reflector of some kind. The sun is one honking big light, learn to use it bounced off of a reflector and use your flash for fill. Almost always a good idea to get that flash well away from your camera.

This forum and others have people/fashion/portrait boards where these issues are thoroughly discussed. Some forums are better than others for fashion portraiture.

Sit with your subject and review as many fashion portraits as you can possibly stand. Identify a preferred style. Study those some more. Critically look at them to evaluate: the pose, the make up, the wardrobe, the lighting, the perspective. Practice copying these.

Then go back to your preferred forum with specific question on how a particular situation or difficulty could be resolved. Your subject is trusting you to know what you are doing in asking you to do her portfolio work. Her future work will somewhat depend on the quality of your work. You owe it to her to get your homework done.

Good luck.

Patrice thank you very much!

Most reactions

Back