need some crafty/handy advice - adding a folding wall to the studio

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
At the back of the studio I have the usual backdrops setup, but I want something the clients can lean on and interact with. In the middle of the studio the wall comes out a bit due to a fireplace that was covered over, and I just use the space in front of that as temporary storage. I was thinking of getting some material *there are two I like at lowes in 4x8 sheets, one looks like grey stonework, the other is a reflective white material, they are in the $15/$20 range each* and cover the wall up and add a 2nd one that will fold out so I can have the client lean against the wall *with the fireplace behind it* and have the foldable part be in the background so the backdrop setup isnt in the frame. This is somewhat inspired by Sue Bryce with her two styrofoam boards, but should last longer and be much cheaper.

I was thinking of getting some chipboard or plyboard from lowes but they are pretty heavy even though its only 3/8" thick or something like that, which isnt really enough to attach a hinge on and im guessing the weight will break shortly after its put up.

Another idea is to get a hollow door that is normally used inside a house, and attach that to the wall covering the fireplace, then attach the material material to that. But there might be a gap between the two material sheets.

How would you all do this? :)

I will mostly be doing closeups, at most waiste up with this setup, so the floor part doesnt matter.

How about using bi-fold (closet) doors; you could place a layer of weather-stripping between them which would pretty much obscure any gap.

weather stripping, great idea for the white material! :) I wonder if it would be smart to attach a wheel to the bottom corner of the door or closet door to help prevent the stress on the top hinge.

one idea is to use two sets of doors and have the outter door hinged to the inner door, that way I can have two sets of physical backgrounds at the one location.

I seen a tutorial on a guys studio some time ago, but cant remember which forum and which guy, but his studio was maxed out. he had everything perfectly organized, chairs hanging on the walls, backgrounds on swivel doors that he could pull out, one of which was actual lockers he got from goodwill, cut the fronts off and attached to the swinging wall. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back